ATV4's Parental Controls are HUGE Step Down from ATV2/3

M

MJG196

OK, maybe I'm missing something, but after a couple hours of experimenting I don't think I am!

On previous ATV models, in the restrictions area you could make it so if you wanted to open a particular app, you could have the ATV ask for the access code.

Now, it seems that ATV4 will block an app completely, and you need to go into the Restrictions to open it up. For example...

• I set age Restrictions for YouTube. When I went to click on it, expecting to enter my access code, it just says that access is not allowed. I needed to go in and remove restrictions in order to watch it.
  • With HBO, it blocks everything over TV-14/PG-13, but when I clicked on a locked movie/show, it does not offer an access code to watch it. I need to remove the restrictions completely.

Furthermore, with YouTube, what is the use of restrictions inside the app, if anyone can go and change them at any time without an access code?!

Is anyone else struggling with this? Is there a menu I'm not seeing?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thread Title: ATV4's Parental Controls are HUGE Step Down from ATV2/3.

If I'm reading your post/experience with ATV 4 correctly…it sounds like the default parental control setting is to block everything by default…and it's up to the parent or adults to "unblock" apps or services as desired.

Depending on someone's point of view (such as parents trying to prevent children's access to certain features, services, or apps)…this could be a "good thing"…and not a "HUGE step down". Since it would prevent any accidental child access to undesirable content on a brand new freshly unboxed ATV 4 that a parent didn't have a chance to setup the parental controls on yet.

Thus having everything blocked by default could be a very good thing for parents.:)

- Nick

OP
M

MJG196

If I'm reading your post/experience with ATV 4 correctly…it sounds like the default parental control setting is to block everything by default…and it's up to the parent or adults to "unblock" apps or services as desired.

Depending on someone's point of view (such as parents trying to prevent children's access to certain features, services, or apps)…this could be a "good thing"…and not a "HUGE step down". Since it would prevent any accidental child access to undesirable content on a brand new freshly unboxed ATV 4 that a parent didn't have a chance to setup the parental controls on yet.

Thus having everything blocked by default could be a very good thing for parents.:)

I see your point, but that wasn't the case. Restrictions are not on by default because you need to create an access code first. To reiterate, what makes the parental controls a step down, is that I can no longer enter my access code to open a restricted app. I need to go all the way into Restrictions, enter my code, and unblock the app. On ATV2/3, you would click on an app and automatically be prompted to enter your code.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I see your point, but that wasn't the case.

Ok…good deal. I guess I misunderstood things in your first post.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.