What is "OTHER" in usage on iPad and phone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Retina 5K, 27" ; 3.5GHz i5; late 2014, iPhone 6+, iPad2, iPod60
My wife's mini iPad 16G has little storage left with the majority of its usage being in "other".

Can I assume that if I would reset the iPad the "other" along with everything else will no longer be on the iPad.

If it is reset would she, after reinstalling her apps lose her place in games like Candy Crush?

Is there another way of getting rid of the "OTHER" (sounds like SciFi)

Thanks

Reaction score
Part of iPhone "Other" space is taken up by iOS, the Other part of iPhone storage space also contains sort of caches and temp files generated by App and iTunes syncs, and some of them won't be used long-term.
To free up space, you can delete some app and and download again. I usually do this after a period of time. But do not delete your favorite game, you may lose the app data.
And you can use some cleaner application to have a cleaning on your iPhone to remove junk files.

Reaction score
Hi,

It is a part (others) of storage which is taken up by Browser cache, Mail cache, Game data, Call history and more. If you do reset you would lose the data

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Part of iPhone "Other" space is taken up by iOS, the Other part of iPhone storage space also contains sort of caches and temp files generated by App and iTunes syncs, and some of them won't be used long-term.
To free up space, you can delete some app and and download again. I usually do this after a period of time. But do not delete your favorite game, you may lose the app data.
And you can use some cleaner application to have a cleaning on your iPhone to remove junk files.

Hi,

It is a part (others) of storage which is taken up by Browser cache, Mail cache, Game data, Call history and more. If you do reset you would lose the data

Just for some clarification, the 'Other' category in iOS storage is well explained in the link given by Nick in early December of last year; also, there is a thread HERE in this forum that discusses the issue.

First, the statement that the iOS is located in the 'Other' storage area is incorrect - the iDevice's operating system and other needed files are going to be well protected and are only evident by comparing one's storage capacity as shown in Settings -> General -> About; e.g. I own a 64 GB iPad Air 2 - however, my capacity is stated to be 55.8 GB (now about 4-5 GB of that is related to how a GB is calculated, i.e. using base 2 or 10 - there is about a 7% difference on a machine w/ my capacity - more information HERE, if interested) - SO, that remaining roughly 5 GB on my device is presumably the iOS and other needed files.

Second, a 'Reset' of the iDevice will not lose any data, if by that term is meant holding down both the HOME & ON-OFF buttons until the Apple logo appears (takes about 10 secs), releasing and allowing the machine to reboot. Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.