Silly stuff

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Hi everyone, i thought I’d try my hand at answering a few posts on MacRumors Forums, this is not a criticism of MacRumors Forums in any way it is a good site and the people who post replies are patient and helpful but; if anyone thinks that some of the posts/threads here are self created problems you need look no further for silly user error issues than MacRumors Forums. It was all I could do to contain myself and give a patient answer to some of the questions/problems posed. An OP who installed a beta OSX on their primary drive with no backup, a guy trying to triple boot on a 250Gb HD and, and, and. I am going to limit myself to MacForums from now on to avoid unnecessary stress.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And of course, Rod, the language would curl an old fellah's toes!

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Oh yes, and there is that and as for grammar and spelling, well. I thought I was a pretty tolerant, patient guy but gee some situations bordered on the laughable. Still, great site for those questions, I simply don’t have enough hair left to start tearing it out myself.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
C'mon now Rod, MacRumors has from 10 to 20 times the number of posts per any given day that we get. And they allow just about any topic to be discussed including Religion and Politics. And I know of plenty of sharp knowledgeable contributors that frequent their forums. They're the most popular forum other than the Apple Public Discussions Forum. ;D

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess MacForums has spoilt me. I agree there is a huge volume of posts. And yes, the contributors are both knowledgeable and very patient.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I've come close to signing on with them a few times. Haven't done it ye but I've been tempted to from time to time. The last time was a few years ago when the MacOSG forum stopped being functional. That the second forum I've been a member of that no longer exists. Think that's a bad omen?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Well Slydude, I have been around since the days of message boards and all the ones I use to post on are all gone.... or they are all dead. Hard to tell. :Smirk:

I have posted occasionally on MacRumors and there are certainly a lot of very knowledgeable people there. But the snark and nastiness can get a bit much for me. I also refuse to venture into the political or religious arena. That way lies madness.

I have found the OP's post range from very intelligent to dumb and dumber. But I use to teach and I still hold there are no dumb questions....just moments of comic relief. :)

Lisa

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
But I use to teach and I still hold there are no dumb questions....just moments of comic relief. :)

Lisa

Nice. I gotta remember that one. I've avoided it in part because of the snark and nasty and in part because once I become a forum member I feel the need to check and read most/all of the posts. That can get time consuming.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes there are an awful lot of them but the thing that strikes me is how different the two sites MacRumors forums and MacForums are. I suppose it comes down to search results but the OP's on this site seem....... more mature? Anyway there is room for everyone in the world wide web. I like this site the way it is. Vivre la différence.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
More mature? That sounds so much better than 'older' Rod.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And really maturity has nothing to do with age it just takes a while for some of us to get there, some never do.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I used to think things had to be pretty dire before anyone would consider reinstalling the OS, sort of like a last resort but in the last two days I have had no fewer than 6 posts on MacRumors where OP's have reinstalled thier OS for no apparent reason other than thinking it would fix pretty much anything. It almost seems like the "go to" solution after a few failed tries at other answers and often complicates or worsens the problem. The classic scenario reads, my computer was doing "A" so I tried "B" and that didn't work so I reinstalled the OS and now it wont "C" any more.
I think I will just "UnWatch" for now and take a short holiday.:Grimmace:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.