Can't do anything after logging into osx. Please help!

Reaction score
I was running out of space in my bootcamp partition so I decided to increase it.I opened disk utility to decrease my macintosh HD partition to make space for bootcamp.once its done, I rebooted my macbook and tried to boot to windows but it is gone now.then I tried to boot back to macintosh HD to delete the partition and start over but after logging in I can only see my wallpaper and nothing else on my desktop. I can't click or do anything but the volume and brightness keys are working. I can move the cursor around but i can't right click or do anything with it. I tried the command r to reinstall osx but its not showing up. Is it a hard drive problem? Please help.

I'm using a late 2008 macbook 2ghz core 2 duo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You cannot do it that way. The only way to change the BootCamp partition size is with a little app called CampTune.

Think you are up for a format of the hard drive and a clean install of the operating system, whatever it is as you have not provided details. Reboot and hold down the Option key and see if you can find OS X that way. You do have evertything backed up of course?

OP
B
Reaction score
Thank you for replying. Camptune isn't free so I decided to do this method instead which is a big mistake. I backed up using CCC of my bootcamp partition but I didn't back up my OS x partition. When I hold down the option key it shows efi boot and recocery 10.11.11. When I press the recovery option it shows a white circle with a cross.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
CCC is a great program. I'm using it even as we speak o do an incremental backup of some media files. As you have discovered CCC backs up Mac partitions but​ does not back up the Boot Camp partition.

@bearhino It looks like you are going to have to resort to Internet recovery to reinstall OS X.

Note that this gets the Mac back to the OS X version it originally shipped with. That should allow you to install updates as needed. That may of course involve re-downloading some things from the App Store. If you have a Time Machine backup you can re-install the rest of your apps and data from there once the OS install is complete.

OP
B
Reaction score
Okay, I pressed the command+option+r keys but it doesn't show the globe icon. Instead it shows me a white circle with a cross then boots up os x.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Well it sounds like you overlapped the Mac OSX partition with the Boot camp partition. The result seems to be corruption of the Mac OSX partition including the Recovery partition. So this is the internet recovery method in detail:
You can start the internet recovery reinstall process from either a shutdown Mac, or by rebooting the Mac. This process will be the same on any new Mac, be it an iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, etc:

Immediately after hearing the Mac boot chime, hold down Command+Option+R – if you see the Apple logo you waited too long and need to reboot and try again*
OPTIONAL: You may or may not see an option to join a wi-fi network, this depends on whether the Mac can access any saved networks from OS X or not
When you see a spinning globe icon, Internet Recovery mode has been entered with a message saying it can take a while, a progress bar appears as the recovery functions are downloaded.

NOTE the bit about timing after the boot chime. Sometimes it takes a couple of tries.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. I'm using a late 2008 macbook and I've heard that internet recovery mode only supports 2010 macbooks or later. But I did try it and does not work instead shows me a white circle with a line through it.

I'm planning to buy a new hard drive but how do I install OS x into my hard drive without using the installation disk because I lost it. I also don't have another Mac device.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can purchase a OS X Snow Leopard disk from Apple for $19.95 which you can use to install the OS.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

OP
B
Reaction score
I think I'm gonna try using bootable USB drive to install osx on my macbook. I'll report back once it finished downloading.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
What Operating System is on the bootable USB?

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK if it is bootable you can use Disk Utility to erase and repair your internal HD, you may also need to repartition the HD if you intend to reinstall Boot Camp.

OP
B
Reaction score
Okay, I just made a bootable USB using transmac and ultra ISO. But for some reason the USB is not showing up in the boot manager (option key). Any ideas?

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have never heard of the two apps you mention but my guess is if it doesn't show up in Start Up Disk Options, it isn't bootable. Personally I use Lion Disk Maker.

OP
B
Reaction score
I don't have another Mac so i am using windows to make the bootable USB and those apps are for windows. ultra ISO didn't work and now I'm gonna try with transmac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Transmac is a Windows program for handling Mac files etc I take it? It will not do the job period. You have to make the bootbale USB thumb drive on a Mac using Lion DiskMaker X or similar Mac pograms. Things are such a mess I would do as chscag suggests, lash out on the Snow Leopard OS X.6 DVD from Apple Online, boot from it, erase the entire hard drive, install Snow Leopard, update to OS X.6.8 and then El Capitan, or Yosemite if you downloaded it from the App Store using your Apple ID.

With an older computer with limited CPU's, gfx and memory capabilities I would suggest investing in say a Dell Latitude E series which you can pick up for a couple of hundred dollars and run Windows on that if it is a 'MUST HAVE'.

CampTune is not outrageously expensive at $20.00.

C

chas_m

I don't know how much CampTune costs, but it's certainly starting to look like more and more of a bargain with each passing post from the OP, isn't it?

Perhaps this is a moment where one (not just the OP) can re-evaluate how much they really *need* to run Windows on their Mac.

Reaction score
I've always had good luck with powering on and then immediately pressing the boot keys without waiting for the chime. I agree though, you have to be extremely quick if you wait for the chime.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.