Final Cut Pro eats up hard-disk space when I use it!

Reaction score
When I'm running Final Cut Pro X, something strange happens with my hard-drive space. I lose about .02 GB a second, and when I close it, it stops. Why is this, and how do I fix this? It's driving me crazy! >.<

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I've never use Final Cut Pro but I have used iMovie, Final Cut Express, and a few others over the years. I suspect the "problem" is the files that get created as Final Cut is performing various tasks. Even something as basic as trimming footage can use large amounts of disk space -- especially if the file is uncompressed video. It doesn't take long for the size of those files to get out of hand.

OP
M
Reaction score
Okay, thank you. There's no way to slow it down from creating these files, is there?
In my Movies folder, where the .fcproject file or whatever it was, it was 6GB. >.<

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm not sure. I'll have to leave that to someone with more recent experience running Final Cut.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.