Sleep Wake Failure

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 i5 2.3 Dual core running 12.3.1
Has reared its ugly head on my iMac. Recently I replaced the hard drive from the stock drive to a 1TB Seagate. OWC thermal sensor wiring adapter and OWC 4GB RAM upgrade. The machine runs great very fast and responsive and no more rainbow wheel of death. At the same time I installed El Capitan 10.11.1. Now I am noticing the dreaded Sleep wake failure which I never experienced prior to the HDD replacement and update from 10.9 Mavericks. I skipped using 10.10 altogether .
A Google of this issue turns up many instances of this failure going back to 2011 or so with laptops as well as imacs without any clear fix that I have been able to discern.

One cause that seems to have some traction is the use of USB external hard drives of which I am using two of. However, I was using this configuration prior to the HDD and El Capitan upgrade with no issues.

Many are just turning off sleep mode altogether as a workaround. I am not totally happy with this but it is certainly a better alternative then not using external HDD.

Also, some state that this issue does not manifest itself with a FW 800 external drive, only with USB connected HDD. Other USB connected peripherals such as printers, mouse, do not seem to cause a problem.

Anyone that has experienced this over the last few years and has any input on any possible fixes or workarounds other than the two I has mentioned, if would be much appreciated.

Screenshot 2015-11-28 08.06.49.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I had this issue on my mac pro. With Yosemite I had no issues. Then I upgraded to El Capitan and lost the sleep function. I was giving serious thought to going back to Yosemite. It finally straightened out when El Capitan 10.11.1 was released.

This may be totally unrelated and a shot in the dark but I noticed you are running Avast! antivirus. This might be causing an issue since it is listed as the process running at the time of the sleep failure. I know antivirus can cause all kinds of funny issues. Most forum members do not run any. It can't hurt to try uninstalling it.

I have over 30 years in the Windows world so trust me when I say when I got my first Mac it took a lot of convincing to get me to let go of antivirus installing. And I tried everyone out there for macs with varying degrees of success. What I discovered was the viruses found were for Windows and not macs. All were email attachments that I would have never clicked on anyway.

My suggestion would be to uninstall Avast! and use Malwarebytes for Mac to do occasional stand alone scans. I also use some browser plug ins to prevent malware issues like Ghostery, uBlock and Privacy Badger

Lisa

OP
tiredretired
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had this issue on my mac pro. With Yosemite I had no issues. Then I upgraded to El Capitan and lost the sleep function. I was giving serious thought to going back to Yosemite. It finally straightened out when El Capitan 10.11.1 was released.

This may be totally unrelated and a shot in the dark but I noticed you are running Avast! antivirus. This might be causing an issue since it is listed as the process running at the time of the sleep failure. I know antivirus can cause all kinds of funny issues. Most forum members do not run any. It can't hurt to try uninstalling it.

I have over 30 years in the Windows world so trust me when I say when I got my first Mac it took a lot of convincing to get me to let go of antivirus installing. And I tried everyone out there for macs with varying degrees of success. What I discovered was the viruses found were for Windows and not macs. All were email attachments that I would have never clicked on anyway.

My suggestion would be to uninstall Avast! and use Malwarebytes for Mac to do occasional stand alone scans. I also use some browser plug ins to prevent malware issues like Ghostery, uBlock and Privacy Badger

Lisa

Thank you Lisa. Yes, I looked at Avast as possibly being the culprit. I am going to uninstall it and go from there.

Thanx!!

OP
tiredretired
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And did that fix the problem, and I assume you've at least restarted if not rebooted your mac????

Yes, restarted right after the uninstall of Avast. This morning I noticed the iMac did NOT restart over night like it has for the past several nights in a row. A good sign. It will take a few more days to know for certain if that fixed it as the computer did not necessarily reboot every night, just most of them. So far so good though.

Thank you and reps to all. I will keep this thread updated over the next few days with what transpires.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Good one Dagwood!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.