youtube not showing on fresh snow leopard?

Reaction score
Hey guys, this older macbook which looks like a 2007/2008 model was running very slow, I just reloaded snow leopard on it and all works better except for youtube, dvd works fine. I did initially get a prompt stating the browsers are too old. Safari version is 4.0.4 and trying to install chrome shows it is not supported by this older system. I tried updating the 10.6.3 but after the system restarted the desktop was taking a while to load the icons so I manually shut down and restarted. Any ideas please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
At least get that Mac up to 10.6.8, and as for youtube, I don't know if you'll have to enable and possibly also update Flash or if there's some setting to enable html5.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks, tell me this please, after installing the update and restarting, how long should it normally take before the icons are loaded on the desktop?

OP
M
Reaction score
Youtube showed "Your browser is no longer supported, find the latest versions of our supported browsers." The default FF browser showed 7.0.1, I applied the update, when restarted FF showed 12.0, did the same and it updated to 42.0 and that works. I am not seeing an option to update safari which is strange?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I just tried with my old MBPro and what a stupid site as you suggest. It tells you that Safari (v. 5.x) isn't supported and doesn't say which one is and then takes you to Apple's equivalent stupid webpage as far as specs and versions go.

I also tried my old FF, and then the suggestions to upgrade and also ended up with version 42.0 and youtube seems to work well with it. So FF would bo for me!!

As far as install and boot times, things can be quite slow when first installed and usually gets faster with more use. I'd just try and be patient for a while then post back if things don't improve.

You may even have a failing hard drive or…??? Who knows at this point. ;)

OP
M
Reaction score
There aren't any issues with boot time, all is working well, only issue was the youtube but works fine with FF.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
FWIW, I just tried Safari 5.1.10 with my MBPro using SL 10.6.8, I also updated my Flash just in case, restarted Safari, went to the youtube site, dismissed their "my browser isn't supported" stuff and carried on, selected some youtube videos to play and they all played properly.

Some were using Flash and I had to click the "click to flash" button I usually use and some had the html5 button to click on. All of them payed as expected.

So I don't know what's "not supported"!! Strange, but nice. Anyway, in case you were interested., Safari does play youtube videos with SL OS X 10.6.8 and all associated stuff up to date, at least as much as it can be.

OP
M
Reaction score
Well, the problem is that snow leopard isn't updating to 10.6.8, it downloaded the updates and shows as installed but when restarted it's still 10.6.3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I assume you've done a shutdown and reboot after each update attempt???

Are you using "Software Update", or at least trying to??

Maybe the COMBO Update will work better for you which you can get and download from here:
Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1
https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1399?locale=en_CA

EDIT:
And I guess you did a quick edit as my email says:

"Here is the message that has just been posted:
Well, the problem is that snow leopard isn't updating to 10.6.8, it downloaded the updates and shows as installed but when restarted it's still 10.6.8
*************** "

Anyway and regardless, give the COMBO Update a try.

Last edited:
C

chas_m

I hope you can get it updated to 10.6.8 (I'd suggest ordering the DVD from Apple for $20), but of course you're going to run into this problem again soon. because you're five versions behind and the rest of the web has moved on in many different areas. I'm not suggesting you move to El Capitan (not even sure if you can), but just saying that for security and other reasons, you are coming to the end of the line for that machine as a full-service computer.

OP
M
Reaction score
Maybe the COMBO Update will work better for you which you can get and download from here:
Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1
https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1399?locale=en_CA

Yes that worked, thank you very much. I am still confused as to why the software update via the apple logo did not work since it installed the same combo update but just glad we got it done!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes that worked, thank you very much. I am still confused as to why the software update via the apple logo did not work since it installed the same combo update but just glad we got it done!

Glad to hear that the COMBO worked, and as it has often done for some reason.

I don't know but I suspect that there's some file or something that tells Software Update where things are and what to do that gets messed up and messes up the "update".

I'd also be inclined to make a current cloned backup with CCC and save yourself any extra problems in the future.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.