Deleting Photos to free up storage

Reaction score
Hi there,

I thought i'd removed all my photos from my MacBook but in 'About this Mac / Storage' it still shows 5BG of photos.

But i've removed them all and can't see any in Finder

So how come it still uses my storage / how can I get rid of them fully pls?

Thanks,
Dan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Did you empty the trash?
Did you use iPhoto or Photos to create a library of photos at some point?

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi there,

Yes the trash is empty and the folders / albums in Photos are empty?

thanks

M

MacInWin

What is 5BG of photos? Did you mean 5GB, or 58G or what? I ask because even after you've deleted YOUR photos, there are still lots of graphic files around that in About This Mac will appear as "photos" but which are actually images of icons, buttons, screen backgrounds, screen saver images, etc, etc, etc. Not 58G of them, but maybe 5G if you have a lot of applications installed, each of which also has images.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi there,

Yes the trash is empty and the folders / albums in Photos are empty?

thanks

Which trash did you empty? Photos has a separate trash which will hold on to deleted photos unless you specifically empty it from within the program.

OP
J
Reaction score
Which trash did you empty? Photos has a separate trash which will hold on to deleted photos unless you specifically empty it from within the program.

hi Chscg,

just the normal trash on the desktop.

where is the Photos trash?

Thanks

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@Charlie does Photos have its own trash like iPhoto did/does?I've seen something somewhere that suggests it doesn't have.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yep, it sure does. ;) Look for the "recently deleted" item in the main menu. It will tell you how many days are left until it's permenantly deleted. I just test deleted an old photo and it immediately showed up in recently deleted and stated: "29 days left". So yes, emptying the main trash does not remove photos in the new Photos programs just as it didn't in iPhoto. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hi Chscg,

just the normal trash on the desktop.

where is the Photos trash?

Thanks

Look for the menu item "Recently Deleted". You need to also delete the photos from there and then they will finally be removed from the hard drive. Works the same way as it did in iPhoto.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.