So I just watched Pirates of Silicon Valley

Reaction score
Is the general story true? If so, wow, Apple had one heck of a history. :eek:neye:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Yes, it is generally true. I think their timeline was a bit off, but it wasn't too bad. The ending was not very accurate though, it made it appear that MS bought Apple out and no such thing happened. Both companies bailed each-other out in the end and settled some long time patent disputes.

OP
J
Reaction score
baggss said:
Yes, it is generally true. I think their timeline was a bit off, but it wasn't too bad. The ending was not very accurate though, it made it appear that MS bought Apple out and no such thing happened. Both companies bailed each-other out in the end and settled some long time patent disputes.

Wow, thanks for the quick reply. Why did the other steve (the main engineeer) leave though? And alos, throughout the movie it seemed like he was the brains and Jobs was only...PR. :batman:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Woz sort of wandered in and out of the company after crashing his plane in San Jose. He blew a wad of cash on hosting free concerts and the like He did some work on the Mac and follow on projects, but his heart was never in it after the Apple II. He WAS the brains of the Apple I and Apple II, without him Apple would have never gone public, but Jobs got investors, buyers and the computer to market. Jobs wasn't even the brains behind the Mac, although he did motivate the original Mac team to do great things, but he created the hype and the market for it once it launched.

There are lots of books that go into Apple's history in great detail. If you'd like a complete list, PM me.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Basically one Steve was the designer/engineer and the other was the marketing/PR guy.

OP
J
Reaction score
Yea, and since Woz was the main engineer..why did people make Jobs seem like such a demi-God? And baggs, thanks a lot for all the info. I dont really need all the books and history at this point, it was just something I was curious about. =P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
because job is the hype man, he created a massive buzz about all the stuff that was created

L

lil

Well if anything Steve Jobs is the figurehead who has kept wandering back to Apple whereas Woz has sat on the sidelines.

Jobs is what makes Apple rather unique in so far as there is one person that people look up to as it were that resembles and reflects the company. Microsoft, Apple before Jobs' Return, Commodore (when they were going), Atari etc. have never ha dor don't have a figurehead as such.

Bill Gates isn't the same as he unlike Jobs is not a PR guy nor a salesman. He's a programmer. Jobs epitomises everything we love to hate in a great salesman!

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
Bill Gates isn't the same as he unlike Jobs is not a PR guy nor a salesman. He's a programmer.

and a business man. When you watch this film you really start to realize just how harsh and naive the computer world was in the beginning.

Pirates of Silicon Valley was a different movie then I though it would be. I though it would be a documentary of sorts, in stead I got a movies about the drama of two companies! It was a surprise I wasn't expecting.

Reaction score
I think its a great movie, sux it is not on DVD (or can u get it on DVD?)

Its as close as movies get to a true story.

Steve is known to have been a real ego maniac and a **** hole.
i am glad he has mellowed

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.