Permissions/unable to read items on drive

Reaction score
I should have posted about this awhile ago but recently tried getting access to the drive once again.

I have an early 2008 black MacBook that I had upgraded from 10.5 to 10.6. When making the os switch I also upgraded my hdd to an ssd, removed the dvd drive and put the old hdd in its place (so now I have both hds in the laptop). Before doing all this I cloned the original hdd onto an external disk, which I had done before with no issues. Stupidly before wiping the hdd to start fresh I didn't check my external drive to make sure it all worked. Needless to say after getting everything set back up I plugged in the external and can see all the information listed on the drive, but cannot open any file.

I have tried accessing the same external disk on Windows, and Linux with no success, moving the user folder to another drive and accessing the info on that, and recently partitioned my ssd to install the old 10.5 thinking something was different in the file management of 10.5 and 10.6. I have checked, changed, and added permissions in the info section to make sure admin, the user the file was originally created from, and everyone could read and write to the drive. None of which have lead to successful access to any section of the user folder (the only section of the drive I'd actually want to access).

I'm looking for someone who can provide an alternative method I haven't thought of, or maybe a program that can get past all of that and open the files. I refuse to believe that the entire external hdd has corrupted being I can see everything that's on it, just can't open it.

Thanks for any info you can provide
smdock

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What program did you use to clone your original hard drive to the external disk? Cloning programs that I'm familiar with (CCC and SuperDuper) will usually check the receiving disk for errors while doing the cloning process.

OP
S
Reaction score
What program did you use to clone your original hard drive to the external disk? Cloning programs that I'm familiar with (CCC and SuperDuper) will usually check the receiving disk for errors while doing the cloning process.

I used the restore setting in Disk Utility that's supplied with the Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.