iTunes problem

Reaction score
Ever since I installed El Capitan with its accompanying iTunes update to my MacBook Air, I have been having problems with iTunes. Every time I select a song or move between playlists, the rainbow-colored spinning ball appears and delays the command. I have uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes several times, but I cannot make this problem go away. Please advise.

Thank you.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Can you tell us a bit more about your setup? What Mac are you using, OS version and how much memory is installed? Also, how large is your iTunes library?

BTW Is anything else slowing down besides iTunes?

OP
N
Reaction score
Can you tell us a bit more about your setup? What Mac are you using, OS version and how much memory is installed? Also, how large is your iTunes library?

BTW Is anything else slowing down besides iTunes?

I use a Mac Book Air 13 inch mid-2013, OS X El Capitan, version 10.11.1, memory 4GB. My iTunes library is very large, but I have never had problems with it before.

My other programs do not seem to have been affected

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Some users have reported slowdowns with the current version of iTunes and larger libraries. Here are a few other questions:
1. Have you run Disk First Aid on the drive containing your library? if iTunes is in a different drive run with there was well.
2. Roughly how many tracks are in the library? Large is a relative term. Some of my friends think a 10,000 track library is large but I've seen libraries much larger.

OP
N
Reaction score
Some users have reported slowdowns with the current version of iTunes and larger libraries. Here are a few other questions:
1. Have you run Disk First Aid on the drive containing your library? if iTunes is in a different drive run with there was well.
2. Roughly how many tracks are in the library? Large is a relative term. Some of my friends think a 10,000 track library is large but I've seen libraries much larger.

How does one run Disk First Aid? How can I tell which drive it is on? As you see, I am hardly a competent technician.

Also, where can I find the exact number of files I have in my iTunes library?

Many thanks.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's an overview of Disk Utility that should get you started. The most relevant directions is in the "All Colors of the Rainbow" section.

To find the number of tracks in your library do the following:

1. Launch iTunes -- When the window appears look at the far eight side of the window.
2. Look just below the search box. You will see a word that says something like Album, Artist, etc. Click there and change the setting to Songs.
3. Look at the bottom of the iTunes window. The number of tracks should appear there in a gray status bar.
4. If the status bar with the number of tracks isn't present press Command / to display the status bar.

P. S. Unless you have moved the iTunes library iTunes and its library are on your mind drive.

OP
N
Reaction score
Here's an overview of Disk Utility that should get you started. The most relevant directions is in the "All Colors of the Rainbow" section.

To find the number of tracks in your library do the following:

1. Launch iTunes -- When the window appears look at the far eight side of the window.
2. Look just below the search box. You will see a word that says something like Album, Artist, etc. Click there and change the setting to Songs.
3. Look at the bottom of the iTunes window. The number of tracks should appear there in a gray status bar.
4. If the status bar with the number of tracks isn't present press Command / to display the status bar.

P. S. Unless you have moved the iTunes library iTunes and its library are on your mind drive.

As of today, my iTunes library contains 8,544 items, some of these songs/items being entire operas. I am an opera fanatic.

I looked at the article on Disk Utility, but found it to be beyond me; I would surely make a mistake. However, I did look at Storage and saw that I have 97.81 GB of 249.77 GB available. (Can I increase my storage memory?)

Does this information affect the cause of that whirling rainbow ball?

Many, many thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
narda

running first aid is easy and you cannot really do any damage.

If you open the disk utility app, highlight the disk you want to check (if your itunes library is on your MBA just highlight Macintosh HD) and click on the first aid icon. Disk utility will do the rest for you.

You appear to have sufficient space left on your hard drive so I doubt that's causing you issues.

Another thing you could try is downloading the 10.11.1 combo update here https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1845?locale=en_US

OP
N
Reaction score
I ran Disk Utility First Aid - no problems were reported. Then I downloaded and installed the latest El Capitan update. However, the whirling rainbow ball still appears, but less. Perhaps it will eventually just go away on its own.

Many thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.