Contacts crashes when searching

Reaction score
Every time I try to search Contacts on my iMac, it crashes. I can scroll through all of them, but type more than two characters into search and it crashes every time. Also, it no longer updates; I add or change a Contact on my phone or laptop and it doesn't change on the iMac.

Reaction score
Back up all data.

If you use iCloud, uncheck the box marked Contacts in the iCloud preference pane.

From the list of groups on the left side of the Contacts window, select All Contacts. From the menu bar, select

File ▹ Export ▹ Export vCard

Save the exported contacts to the Desktop, then quit Contacts.

Triple-click the text on the line below to select it, then copy it to the Clipboard (command-C):

~/Library/Application Support/AddressBook

In the Finder, select

Go ▹ Go to Folder

from the menu bar, paste into the box that opens (command-V), and press return.

A Finder window will open with a folder selected. Move the selected folder to the Desktop, leaving the window open for now.

Launch Contacts. Your contacts will be gone. From the menu bar, select

File ▹ Import

and import from the file you exported above. Your contacts will reappear.

Re-enable Contacts in the iCloud preference pane, if you disabled it earlier. Test. If the issue is resolved, delete the AddressBook folder and the vCard file on the Desktop and close the open folder window.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.