Lightning sd card reader and iOS9

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
My cheapy lightning sd card reader no longer works on my iPad mini or phone since updating to iOS 9.

I'd planned to get an Apple connector but looking at recent reviews on the Apple site, the genuine article (MD822ZM/A, around £25 in the UK), seems to have the same problem. I don't need an adapter immediately as I only use it for transferring/backing up photos from my camera when on holiday (next big trip is New York, May '16, and I certainly don't want to pack my MBP).

Any experiences or suggestions on this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
My cheapy lightning sd card reader no longer works on my iPad mini or phone since updating to iOS 9.

I'd planned to get an Apple connector but looking at recent reviews on the Apple site, the genuine article (MD822ZM/A, around £25 in the UK), seems to have the same problem. I don't need an adapter immediately as I only use it for transferring/backing up photos from my camera when on holiday (next big trip is New York, May '16, and I certainly don't want to pack my MBP).

Hello - a few months ago, I left a thread on the iPad Forums - HERE apropos to your question(s) above - take a look at post #6 (mine) and see if any of the ideas there might be a substitute for the CCK, which I've not used in several years. Good luck and let's know your solution(s). Dave :)

OP
badshoehabit
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Thanks. From your comments, buying a wifi SD card seems the best option as my current camera (Panasonic Lumix fz45) is not wifi. Another alternative, Apple's Lightning to USB Camera Adapter (again £25), gets poor reviews too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. From your comments, buying a wifi SD card seems the best option as my current camera (Panasonic Lumix fz45) is not wifi. Another alternative, Apple's Lightning to USB Camera Adapter (again £25), gets poor reviews too.

Hi again, I own the old 30-pin CCK (used on my iPad 2 - now on an Air 2 and did not want to buy a new lightning one or an Apple adapter) which is gathering dust - just too many other options now available. As to a Wi-Fi SD card (i.e. EyeFi), I've not used one so cannot comment on their quality or ease of use, nor how the images are transferred 'wirelessly' to your device? But, the price is right and you may want to give a 'smaller' card a try.

My new Panasonic Lumix camera has built-in Wi-Fi that communicates w/ a Panasonic app on my iPad - works well; however, I like to 'manipulate' my images on my MBPro and the camera cannot communicate w/ the laptop wirelessly, so as I've done for years, I simply remove the SD card and plug it into the computer's SD slot, just second nature. So, I would also suggest considering one of the devices below (discussed in my linked post) - requires removing your SD card from the camera which is put into the device and then communicates w/ your iPad via Wi-Fi (each has its own app for an iDevice) - there are certainly other 'wireless' choices available. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-08-25 at 1.11.36 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-08-25 at 1.09.22 PM.png

OP
badshoehabit
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quite honestly, I don't want to spend that much as most of the time I can put the SD card into my MBP. But a wifi SD card could probably be used in a future camera too (have my eye on the new Lumix fz300).

Do you know why the camera won't communicate with your MBP wirelessly? That would be a big deterrent for me getting a new model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quite honestly, I don't want to spend that much as most of the time I can put the SD card into my MBP. But a wifi SD card could probably be used in a future camera too (have my eye on the new Lumix fz300).

Do you know why the camera won't communicate with your MBP wirelessly? That would be a big deterrent for me getting a new model.

Well, the larger capacity Eye-Fi SD cards will cost you about the same cost as one of the two devices shown in my previous post, but of course the advantage is not having to remove the wireless card from the camera - might just buy me a smaller one to try?

As to my 'new' camera (Panasonic LUMIX DMC-ZS50K 30X - bought in June), the Wi-Fi feature works beautifully w/ my iPad Air 2, but there is no option to communicate wirelessly w/ my MBPro - I exchanged a couple of emails w/ Panasonic support and was told that there was no app for OS X; I believe I responded to another thread where the OP had a Wi-Fi Canon camera and was basically in the same situation.

But if you do try the Eye-Fi SD technology, please let us know your results. Dave :)

OP
badshoehabit
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can get a compatible 32gb wifi card here for £25 ($37) - that's 2,000+ shots at 14mp in jpeg.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can get a compatible 32gb wifi card here for £25 ($37) - that's 2,000+ shots at 14mp in jpeg.

Yep - those cards have become pretty inexpensive these days - but keep in mind that there are good brands and poor ones, so the 'cheaper' ones may not be as reliable? But again let us know your results. Dave :)

OP
badshoehabit
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Toshiba and Transcend are the ones which came up for my camera. Already use Transcend successfully.

OP
badshoehabit
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep - those cards have become pretty inexpensive these days - but keep in mind that there are good brands and poor ones, so the 'cheaper' ones may not be as reliable? But again let us know your results. Dave :)

Took the plunge, bought a Toshiba FlashAir 16gb card for £15.99 from Amazon uk. You download the FlashAir app from the App Store onto iPad (or Mac, phone), follow a few onscreen instructions and, hey presto, the images appear. You the save and they are stored, datal order, on the iPad. Still to find out most everything else but I think I made the right choice.

Also now had a chance to handle the Lumiz FZ300 (and FZ1000 which has a 1" sensor) decided against - it's a big beast, not for me.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Took the plunge, bought a Toshiba FlashAir 16gb card for £15.99 from Amazon uk. You download the FlashAir app from the App Store onto iPad (or Mac, phone), follow a few onscreen instructions and, hey presto, the images appear. You the save and they are stored, datal order, on the iPad. Still to find out most everything else but I think I made the right choice.

Great & thanks for posting your choice - certainly an inexpensive and workable option - good luck! Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.