Connection Problem Between Mac Pro and Monitor

Reaction score
I am trying to connect an older Mac Pro (2009) desktop computer to a new monitor (LG 34UC97).

Since the older Mac Pro has a DVI input, I tried connecting the computer to the monitor with a DVI cable on
one end and a DVI to Thunderbolt input adapter on the other end of the cable. This cable does not produce a signal to the monitor.

Thanks for any tips on how to connect the older Mac Pro (2009) to the new monitor noted above.

Last edited:
C

chas_m

So you're saying the monitor has a Thunderbolt connector? I'm kind of doubting that, though I'm not up on every connector on every monitor on the market.

Surely the monitor has some other standard connectors? Have you tried DVI to (any of the other connectors) that doesn't require an adapter?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
schwine1 , who makes this DVI to Thunderbolt adapter? I have a feeling that might be your issue. Make and model if there is one.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I am trying to connect an older Mac Pro (2009) desktop computer to a new monitor (LG 34UC97).

Since the older Mac Pro has a DVI input, I tried connecting the computer to the monitor with a DVI cable on
one end and a DVI to Thunderbolt input adapter on the other end of the cable. This cable does not produce a signal to the monitor.

Thanks for any tips on how to connect the older Mac Pro (2009) to the new monitor noted above.

Your LG monitor has 2 HDMI, 1 display port, and 2 thunderbolt input connectors. It does not have a DVI input connector. Your 2009 Mac Pro (standard configuration) has 1 mini display port and 1 dual-link DVI outputs. You can probably use a mini display port to display port adapter from the Mac Pro to the LG. However, I doubt you're going to obtain the full resolution the LG is capable of. Our Moderator bobtomay has expertise with this type of situation so if he has a chance to read your post, I'm sure he'll offer some good advice.

OP
S
Reaction score
Information update: it looks like the mini display port itself on the back of the Mac Pro (2009) is not not designed for a resolution as high as 3440x1440.
As far as I know, there is no workaround for this limitation in the computer hardware.

I spoke to an authorized repair depot for Mac computers, and they said that a new video card would not help because the limitation is with the physical mini display port itself that is integrated with the existing circuit board.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I spoke to an authorized repair depot for Mac computers, and they said that a new video card would not help because the limitation is with the physical mini display port itself that is integrated with the existing circuit board.

I'm not sure I believe that. Do some research on video cards that are compatible with your year and model Mac Pro, looking for one that will provide an output that can match the resolution of the LG.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree with chscag.

Who was this authorized depot? If it was not Apple itself, I would not believe them.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks to chscag and especially dtravis7 for finding this graphics card.

Here is an informative video review of this card on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeu02TZDS7k

I'll order this card soon and thanks again for the great support!

As a side note, the repair technician I talked to is part of a third party Mac re-seller called WestWorld. http://www.westworldsales.com/index.php
It's actually a pretty good store for Mac products, but this particular employee was not as knowledgeable as he could have been.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.