Memory usage on a Mini

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 MacBook Pro, 15", i9, 32GB RAM, Monterey
I just replaced my MBP with a new Mini. I configured the Mini with an i7 chip, 16GB of RAM and 256GB of solid state memory. Those are almost the same figures as those for my MacBook Pro (although I had 512GB of ssd in it and the i7 in the MBP was quad core, not dual core) but I have noticed that my memory usage in the Mini seems much higher than in the MBP. For example I was recently editing some raw images in CaptureOne and noticed that my free memory (as measured by Memory Clean) had dropped to about 1.2GB from 16GB. I don't ever remember that happening with my MacBook Pro as I used to run CaptureOne and, sometimes, Parallels and never dropped below about 6GB of free memory.

Both are (were) on El Capitan so I assume that either there is something different about how the Mini manages memory or there is some configuration change between the two. The same OS, the same amount of RAM, so there must be something different that is causing the Mini to drop to such a low free memory level. Can anyone tell me what might be the problem? And is it some configuration change that can solve my problem?

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have 2012 Mac Mini (i7, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD) plus 2008 Macbook Pro (8GB RAM, 120GB SSD & 750GB HDD)
Just started using Memory Clean app on my 2012 Mac Mini (i7 with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD) and not sure what to make of it. Interesting info, but available memory always seems to hover around 12 GB. When I hit the 'Clean' function, available memory will go up a little (very little), but drops right back down to the 11 - 12 GB range soon as I open programs. Noticed your post was last Nov ... have you been using it since then and what's your conclusion? Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just started using Memory Clean app on my 2012 Mac Mini (i7 with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD) and not sure what to make of it. Interesting info, but available memory always seems to hover around 12 GB. When I hit the 'Clean' function, available memory will go up a little (very little), but drops right back down to the 11 - 12 GB range soon as I open programs.

Doesn't sound like you're having any issues. If it ain't broke…don't fix it.;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Dual core vs Quad core?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
OS X.10 and OS X.11 do not need Memory Clean. Give it a miss. These operating systems handle smemory differently.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual core vs Quad core?
I am not sure to whom this question was being asked but I am responding with the assumption it was directed to me.

The Mini does not offer quad core chips. My machine is speced as mentioned above - i7 (dual core), 16GB RAM and 256GB ssd. My only real complaint is that the machine is really a bit under-powered.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am not sure to whom this question was being asked but I am responding with the assumption it was directed to me.

That would be a correct assumption.:)

The Mini does not offer quad core chips.

That would not be correct.;) Late 2012 Mac-Mini's had a quad-core option. You did not tell us what model Mac-Mini you have…thus there is the possibility you could have this model.:)

My machine is speced as mentioned above - i7 (dual core), 16GB RAM and 256GB ssd.

Post #1 does not mention that your Mac-Mini has a dual-core CPU.:)

As mentioned. Late 2012 Mac-Mini's had a quad-core i7 CPU possible configuration. And MANY Mac-Mini fan's covet this Mac-Mini model for that very reason!:)

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have to agree with Harry. I've almost never bothered with memory cleaning applications and really haven't needed them with the last two versions of OS X. They really do see to handle memory much better than it did in the past. With 16 GB of RAM installed I doubt that a memory clean application is going to make much of a difference.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That would not be correct.;) Late 2012 Mac-Mini's had a quad-core option. You did not tell us what model Mac-Mini you have…thus there is the possibility you could have this model.:)
- Nick
You are, of course, correct. What I meant was that there was no quad core chip available for the Mini when I bought it but you are quite right in saying that my reply was not clear. My apologies.

Reaction score
Different Display

I just replaced my MBP with a new Mini. I configured the Mini with an i7 chip, 16GB of RAM and 256GB of solid state memory. Those are almost the same figures as those for my MacBook Pro (although I had 512GB of ssd in it and the i7 in the MBP was quad core, not dual core) but I have noticed that my memory usage in the Mini seems much higher than in the MBP. For example I was recently editing some raw images in CaptureOne and noticed that my free memory (as measured by Memory Clean) had dropped to about 1.2GB from 16GB. I don't ever remember that happening with my MacBook Pro as I used to run CaptureOne and, sometimes, Parallels and never dropped below about 6GB of free memory.

Both are (were) on El Capitan so I assume that either there is something different about how the Mini manages memory or there is some configuration change between the two. The same OS, the same amount of RAM, so there must be something different that is causing the Mini to drop to such a low free memory level. Can anyone tell me what might be the problem? And is it some configuration change that can solve my problem?

Thank you.

The difference could be in the memory usage for the graphic card/ Display(s). Bigger the display the more memory it requires.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are, of course, correct. What I meant was that there was no quad core chip available for the Mini when I bought it but you are quite right in saying that my reply was not clear. My apologies.

Believe it or not…sometimes some confusion can arise with the use of the word "new". Sometimes when folks use the word "new"…they mean "brand new current model computer". And sometimes when the word "new" is used they mean "new to me"…which basically means "used computer".;)

I think that the question above as to whether your Mac-Mini had a dual-core or quad-core CPU…came from the possibility that your "new" mini could be a "new to you" computer.

You are absolutely right Mike. If you're new Mac-Mini is a brand new current model…yes…there are no brand new current model quad-core Mac-Mini's .:)

- Nick

p.s. Late 2012 model is the only quad-core Mini.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Dual core vs Quad core?

I'm sorry, this should not have been a question, more of a statement. That the dual-core mini, was not going to process as fast as a quad-core MBP.

Another thing to consider is the amount of free space on the 256gb drive compared to the 512gb drive in the MBP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.