• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

New Update 10.4.6!

Reaction score
baggss said:
Apple does updates on a regular basis to fix problems and such. If you assumed that everything was hunky-dorey out of the box you were sadly mistaken. I'm glad they do this as it just avoids more problems down the road.

I relise this, but its getting so often now.
I still have a windows peice of crap, but i have not had many updates this year and the ones i have had have been very minor.

108 Mb is like a big service pack + we have been having a update every other week lately and i think the last one before this update was a pretty big download as well.

being a Intel mac owner i fully expect alot of patches, But it for the PPC version to?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Uh yeah, it relates to the OS, not strictly to the chip....

Viruses...articles named them as trojans and backdoors. Plus thats what the apple store told me.

Again, there are no know viruses or trojans for OSX (with one known exception), anyone who tells you different is not telling you the truth. There have been a rash or security related vulnerabilities reported lately and I expect that these are what this patches.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
My Windows XP Pro box gets updates many times a week. Almost every one is a Security patch.

Reaction score
I like the fact that there are so many updates!

Nice to see more cellphones added to the supported list in iSync, the phone I want is there now!

OP
BiT

BiT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel core duo iMac. 15.4" MBP, 100GB, 256MB vRAM, 1GB RAM, 2.16GHz
i just installed my Mac OS X again, because i was stupid and tried to put in Ubuntu instead of Windows XP for Boot Camp. and now i open up the Software Update and guess what the update is? well here is the pic i got.
update8tj.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
why does the size of the update really matter? they are improving the operating system.

it looks like there are a lot more improvements than bugfixes etc....
-chris

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
coach_z said:
why does the size of the update really matter? they are improving the operating system.

it looks like there are a lot more improvements than bugfixes etc....
-chris

Agreed Totally!

Reaction score
Hmm I don't mind it. I welcome it. When I bought my iMac in November, we had 10.4.2 - now, 5 months later, we have 10.4.6 , and it's always been a large patch. I never had problems that neede fixing, but compare these 6 updates since tiger's release compared to the 2 service packs microsoft put out there in 5 years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2
biggyme13 said:
10.4.6 update is out. Yes they have got another version. Includes general system fixes, as well as specific fixes for the following programs and technologies.

- login and authentication in a variety of network environments
- file access and byte range locking with AFP file sharing
- network access when using proxy server automatic configuration files
- connecting to Cisco VPN servers using IP/Sec
- using Bluetooth wireless devices
- searching iWork '06 and Microsoft Office documents with Spotlight
- saving Word documents automatically when using a network home directory
- creating Automator workflows for iPhoto 6
- synchronizing contacts and calendars to .Mac and mobile phones
- mounting and unmounting iDisk volumes
- compatibility with third party applications and devices
- previous standalone security updates

Updates Calculator so that the percentage button ("%") will no longer divide, under certain circumstances, when you expect it to calculate percentage. This could happen in Mac OS X 10.4.3 through 10.4.5.

Told ya the included calculator was fuxOred. :spook:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
Bwahahaha! They can make the most advanced OS around with scaling dock visuals, online updates, GPU accelerated desktop, widgets and thousands of other features and what happens... they get the % key wrong!

That's rich ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven
Just downloaded it yesterday.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20" - (2.1 GHz 1.5 GB DDR2)
I'm new to Macs. I have an iMac G5 20" iSight and did the update. My system seems a little slower at starting up.

Is there anything I can do to get back to my previous zippy performance?

By the way, even with all the talk about the new Intel iMacs, I still love my G5.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
powerbook 12-inch G4 1.55ghz 80g 512mb superdrive
yea when i did the initial start up after downloading my system was slow. but its fine now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
My Airport has been acting weird since I downloaded the update. I can't seem to connect to either of the wireless access points in my house, yet my sister's Windows laptop seems to be working fine, same for my Dad's HP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.