Early 2011 MacBook Pro 15" won't boot

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro8,2
I was playing World of Warcraft and my system crashed. Now it will not boot or even give the chime. I do get the Apple logo but it freezes halfway through and locks up. It gets really hot on the bottom of the MacBook near the base of the screen. Does anyone have any ideas what might be wrong with my laptop?

Thanks in advance, alice

C

chas_m

Lots of things COULD be wrong with it, but my guess would be that heat has killed your hard drive. What is or was the MBP sitting on at the time?

OP
AliceSML79
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro8,2
It was sitting on my bed. They have done that multiple times before with no problems. I know the hard drives towards the front corner and it was in total in the back where the CPU and GPU are. I'm wondering if the thermal paste failed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16 inch 2,6Ghz I7 - MacPro 5,1 3,2Ghz-6Core Xeon
Huh sounds like either an Hdd problem or your videocard has died. Hdd would be a pretty cheap replacement, Videocard not so much im afraid

OP
AliceSML79
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro8,2
I think something is wrong with the video card, because there are now lines across the screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Use your notebook on a desktop or similar. Covering up the cooling slots will cause damage.

C

chas_m

NEVER sit a notebook on a soft surface such as a pillow etc ... this blocks the cooling action and kills the machine. Textbook example.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
NEVER sit a notebook on a soft surface such as a pillow etc ... this blocks the cooling action and kills the machine. Textbook example.

Hmmm…??? And a strange statement as well as I can recall you often stating that a Mac can't damage itself with any overheating and it will just shut down if it gets too hot.

I also refer to your same comments when I and others have suggested using some Fan Control software. So maybe some explanation could help here… ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The 2011 Macbook Pro 15"s have a known GPU issue that there is a recall on. If you have a qualifying model they will replace the logic board for free.
https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

Now that makes a lot more sense, and sounds reminiscent of the Apple recall for the video problem on my mid-late 2007 MBPro. Still running and I just managed to squeak in under their particular recall expiry back then.

OP
AliceSML79
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro8,2
First I want to thank everyone for the great advice. And sorry that I haven't been on because I've been sick. I was so stopped up even Siri couldn't recognize my voice for voice to text.

Now back on subject, I didn't leave the laptop on the bed directly. I always would something underneath it like a remote control or small book or something. Now back on subject, I didn't leave the laptop on the bed directly. I always would something underneath it like a remote control or small book or something. That kept the air vents clear and able to breath. I got a Genius Bar appointment tomorrow to see if they can give me an idea what happened. I promise to keep you all posted.

Thanks in advance, Alice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hopefully they'll be able to provide a fix for your Mac and maybe give you some nice bourbon or something to flush that bug out of your body and get you better as well. ;)

I hear that World of Warcraft can be hard on both the CPU and the GPU, and maybe something milder might be an advisable option. At least until you're feeling better!!! ;D

OP
AliceSML79
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro8,2
world of Warcraft is something I play but I'm not a big gamer. I managed to get my old windows laptop working but god do I miss my MacBook Pro. looking at a new 2.8GHz, 1TB, Final Cut Pro X, & Logic Pro X setup. would that game ok or should I get a 5k iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know as I don't do games, but a quick google search shows the 5K Macs would probably be a waste of money and may not even play some properly.

Makes sense considering many top end game developers cheat the system and don't always follow the rules.

Time to do some checking would be advisable I'd think.

OP
AliceSML79
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro8,2
Well I took my Mac in to the shop. The genius bars in my Mac actually had a recall on it so they're going to fix my graphics card for free. Boy did I luck out there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Great news Alice. Enjoy when you get it back.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
world of Warcraft is something I play but I'm not a big gamer. I managed to get my old windows laptop working but god do I miss my MacBook Pro. looking at a new 2.8GHz, 1TB, Final Cut Pro X, & Logic Pro X setup. would that game ok or should I get a 5k iMac?

Glad you are going to get your Mac back in one piece. Your luck is much better than mine would likely be in a similar circumstance.

For the benefit of others reading this thread take note of the following: I'm not a big gamer but my wife plays regularly (WoW and a few others). When it comes to Mac gaming performance things really have to be considered on a case by case basis. From time to time she will ask a question regarding gaming on the Mac or one of our friends will mention that a certain game plays well on the Mac. The resulting discussion usually boils down to the following:

1. Some games do not have a Mac client. Such games may play well under BootCamp. You'll have to either check the forums for that game or try it. Gaming in a virtual machine usually isn't worth it.
2. Games that do have a Mac client often play reasonably well even if the Mac client hasn't been updated in some time. The catch here is that some clients are slow to update.
3. Much of whether or not the Mac client is worth using depends upon your expectations. The game may not play at all or well with ultra graphics settings but works well if you are willing to settle for a lower resolution. This is usually a function of the game not being written to fully take advantage of the graphics hardware on a Mac.
4. Mac or PC if you are a serious gamer it's usually best to avoid machines with integrated graphics.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I took my Mac in to the shop. The genius bars in my Mac actually had a recall on it so they're going to fix my graphics card for free. Boy did I luck out there.

Glad to hear and it's probably a good thing that it quit when it did and while it's still covered by the recall.

OP
AliceSML79
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro8,2
Yes I got very lucky on the recall.

Thanks for all the help everyone and happy Thanksgiving to anyone that on here today.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.