Hello All, need some help with 1st Gen G5

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have the same issue here. Opened up my tower and dusted the inside clean with an air can. Put the two covers back on. Plastic & Metal.
Turned it on, no go. Stuck at boot up/Grey apple screen.

The firs time the fans went super fast seconds after.
Second attempt it took about a minute and then the fans did the same. Scary loud.

After reading about the censor solution on the plastic cover from Bob,.. MY QUESTION IS, .... Could this be the reason for the stall in boot up????? OR is this the censor only the cause of the red light to show and only the red light?????

Thank you to all who posted replys to my problem, but I've found a solution. There was a white sticker on the rear plastic foot that had been scraped off a bit and it was messing something up...sitll not sure how that works. As soon as I did what Bob mentioned my problem was solved. Read below in blue

Thanks,
B

(I received this info off the Apple discussion board)

My situation was simple. The "Drive bay fan" goes to high speed on power-up and stays that way and a red LED seen through the case just above the power switch lights up. Apple replaced (in total) the Main Logic Board (MLB), both processors, the two CPU "Intake fans" and the fan next to the speaker. At this point the problem still existed. During the "Fan Calibration" process the "CPU Intake fans" were reporting to be too high which produced an error by the Apple diagnostic software the tech was using (not software the general public has access to) stating something along the lines that the plastic inner door was off, to check it and re-run the test. Everything was in its place, nice & tight.

After several trips out to my house (I'm disabled & on-site AppleCare was very much needed), the tech once again mentioned the red LED I had pointed out to AppleCare several times, this time the AppleCare rep looked into it and here is what took place to troubleshoot the LED/Drive bay fan issue.

Open your side case and see if you have a red LED on, if not, this may not be of help. If the LED is on, remove the clear plastic door and you'll notice that the rear tab has a white sticker covering it. Take a piece of white paper twice the width of the rear slot where the plastic tab goes and fold it in half to make it thick (think of bearking a beam of light, thin paper may not do the trick). Now stick the paper in the rear slot (***HOLD ONTO IT***), if the LED stays on then (in my case) you need to replace the "Airflow Detector Board"

Hope this helps.

~Bob

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
What you describe is really typical if a heat sensor cable has been left disconnected.

C

chas_m

Censor -- someone who blocks information.

Sensor -- mechanical or electronic device that conveys a certain type of information.

Lesson of the day: relying on spellcheck isn't enough. You have to know how to spell.

OP
H
Reaction score
What you describe is really typical if a heat sensor cable has been left disconnected.

Thank for that....

Here is the latest.....after I did some dusting I went back in and got the fans to stop going full blast the moment I turn it on.

I now have the start up sound, and fans take about 5 minutes before they rev up super loud. All the while this is improvement (to me), it has yet to actually loaded past the Grey apple logo screen....

WHAT COULD I HAVE DONE SO WRONG when just dusting and removed the fan and put it back.....WHAT ELSE COULD THIS BE? Thanks in advance for any help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Cables, cables and cbles. Go back in and double check everything. Also consider finding the model on the ifixit website.

C

chas_m

I sincerely hope you get the machine working again and everything, and if I had any suggestions better than Harry's I would offer them, but ... that thing is a museum piece now. If you got it running, it wouldn't be safe to put on the Internet, can't handle modern HD video, won't run Flash or other web technologies, almost 100 percent of software is incompatible ... I could go on all afternoon like this.

The machine you're working on is worth maybe $20, and that's being generous. It's worth more in pieces. It's time to move on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.