G3 wont detect hard drive?!

M

Marshmule

Hi

I have a Harddrive that i used to use on my pc which i wish to put into my MAC, when booting from CD to make a fresh installation i get to the point where i select the harddrive and i am unable to do so as its not there, i know i can format a HDD using the CD but why cant i with this hard drive?! Could it be anything to do with the jumper settings on the HDD? Should they be set to cable select?

Any help much appreciated

Luke

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
How did you format the HDD and in what format is it in?

OP
B

Badger

Sounds like the jumper. Depending on the model it could be either cable select or master. Since it doesn't work the way it is set try the other one.

OP
M

Marshmule

So although its in NTFS format the MAC should recognise that there is a HDD there? And i can then format from the OSX cd?
ThaNKS

OP
B

Badger

Marshmule said:
So although its in NTFS format the MAC should recognise that there is a HDD there? And i can then format from the OSX cd?
ThaNKS

Yes. Once the mac recognizes the HD is there it should be able to format it normally.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.