Glare on background of photo page Yosemite

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook pro os x
Hi,

don't realy know how to explain this, I used macbook pro for a long time mainly for my
photography, my old system was then iphoto, as it's died on me I can't remember what
system it was, but it was about 7 years ago, as you can see from what I'm saying I don't know much about computers, but loved my old Mac. However. decide can't do without one so I've
bought a Mac air 13inch with Yosemite on it.
But I'm realy disapointed with Photo, mainly for the following reason, my eyes are failing I'm
waiting for surgery, which may be a a year at least so I will have to struggle on. With my old iphoto
I used to use the background in a grey , the new photo is just so glary white it hurts my
eyes, white fonts on a black background is best for me for print, but a greyed out look would be
much better as a background, same in finder it's just so blindingly white.
Even with my little computer skills I have looked , but can't see any way of changing it.
Sorry this has been so long winded, but if anyone can help, it would be appreciated, or some other photo app that would work on a darker background, and allow me to transfer my photo's
and okay on Mac. Thanks if you know.

sunnymay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Not sure if this will help but I use the dark menu bar selection under System Preferences -> General -> and check the box "Use dark menu bar and dock". Then for photo work I use Photoshop which offers a black background by default. I use CS6 because I am holding out paying monthly as I use way more of Adobe's offerings and am looking at $50 a month (currently on sale for $40). But if you chose to use the new CC versions there is a photographer's bundle that is $9.99 a mouth or 119.88/year which includes Photoshop and Lightroom.

Oh - and I get the glare issue. I use matte monitors because my eyes seem to try to focus on every reflection. I end up with eye strain and tired eyes.

Lisa

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
But I'm realy disapointed with Photo, mainly for the following reason, my eyes are failing I'm
waiting for surgery, which may be a a year at least so I will have to struggle on.

Cataract surgery? If you have cataracts in both eyes, any kind of bright background or glare can be a real show stopper. Before I had mine removed, I couldn't even drive at night because of oncoming auto headlight glare. Had them removed and got my full vision back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
Not sure if this is exactly what you want but you could try f.lux. it won't turn your screen grey but you use it to take the bright white glare of the screen. You would have to play with the time settings to get it the same all day but it might be worth a try.
https://justgetflux.com/

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook pro os x
Hi,
thanks for your replies, so it would seem I can't change the colour background of photo in Yosemiti but as
I'm thinking of going to El Capitan perhaps there might be a change there in photo ? Perhaps it's only a small
minority that finds it a problem.

If anyone else reading this can come up with an answer I would be so grateful, photography is a passion for
me, or was, think I've got to step back from it until my eyes are sorted, and thanks chscag, yes I do have
cataracts but also a condition called fuch's dystrophy and need corneal transplants, bit drastic, but will get
my eyesight back eventualy, meanwhile I have up to a year wait and a new Macbook air that I can use for
part of the day until the glare gets too bad. but enough of that, anymore idea's out there please, they would be most welcome.

sunnymay.

C

chas_m

Regrettably there isn't anything to be done about the white background in Photos, but there's some hope that eventually a real "dark mode" will be made available. This could be hastened by people using the "Feedback" option found in the Help menu. I just sent off a report on it, noting that people with cataracts and other visions conditions would like the option of being able to change the background.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook pro os x
Thank you chas_m, lets hope someone out there listens.

sunnymay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Sadly photos is umm well to bright for many of us. Even the white in the forums here is like salt on a open womb to my eyes. But it does look **** nice.. :-D
There are other programs you can try out for editing your photography. Try out the trail version of Aurora HDR from Macphun software. It may have everything you can want. As a photographer I am blown away by its value and features. you can get the trail version at www aurorahdr dot com. Or purchase the standard version in the iTunes store.. This software is really really nice and IMHO is going places.. Oh and best of all, the UI is dark.. LOL

Cheers,
Joe

Reaction score
I actually went exploring Photos with Xcode. Evidently you cant open .nib files like you used to any more :(
Didn't get anywhere.
Then again, I'm no coder.

C

chas_m

I'm not sure iPhoto (the predecessor to Photos) could open .nib files either, so that's hardly surprising. Perhaps you're thinking of Aperture?

As for Macphun, I second Joe's recommendation. I haven't played with Aurora specifically but I do own Creative Kit 2016 (which is on sale for a FRACTION of what it normally costs) and have been extremely pleased with their stuff.

I do enjoy Macphun's extensions into Photos however, and I'm hoping that someone at Apple will let a future version of Photos change the background colour. It goes to black in editing mode, mind you, but I'd like that option for the presentation view as well.

Reaction score
Can tell you're not a programmer... .nib files are a resource in an application folder or part of the app. Xcode used to have an application that would open and edit them.
Kind of like ResEdit on steroids. This was back before they rolled everything into one application and Xcode was a suite of applications.

C

chas_m

I was a programmer a million years ago, long before Xcode, but I've forgotten nearly all of it.

I misread your post as you wanted to open .nib files (and yes, I knew what they were, but read on) in Photos, and presumed you meant .NEF files and had just mistyped. I admit it -- I'm in need of new glasses. Prescription has been obtained, just waiting to see if I can get a good price on some new specs! Sorry about that.

Reaction score
Hey, just got my new ones a couple weeks ago. It DOES make a difference :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hey, just got my new ones a couple weeks ago. It DOES make a difference

LOL, Walgreen's 2.5 X at three pairs for $10.00. Never run out. ;P

Reaction score
Wish I could wear Walgreen's readers. My astigmatism is too bad. And she says I'm starting to get glaucoma.
Be a lot cheaper.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Make sure you have your eyes checked by an Opthamologist‎ as Glaucoma is a serious affliction which can cause loss of eyesight. It caused my father to lose most of his eyesight before he passed away some years ago. He never knew he had it until too late.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Wish I could wear Walgreen's readers. My astigmatism is too bad. And she says I'm starting to get glaucoma.
Be a lot cheaper.
Same here. Drug store readers definitely don't the care of that.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Once I had my cataracts removed, my eyesight returned to normal vision except for aging eyes focus. My arms are just not long enough to be able to read like I used to when I was younger, but with cheap 2.5X readers I do OK. I do use a special focusing pair of glasses for working in front of the computer though. They focus well at around 30".

Enjoy Thanksgiving Day and watch the Dallas Cowboys. ;D

Reaction score
I do use readers for the computer as my bifocals don't focus at that length.
And will probably get banned for this, but I don't do the whole football thing.
Or baseball. Or basketball...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.