Silencing the ringer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 inch, 2020
On my iphone 6 (and every other iphone) I used to be able to silence the ringer by pressing the volume down button while someone was calling. For some reason, that doesn't work on the 6S. I can still press the button on the other side to send to voicemail, but I don't always want to do that. Any ideas?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Why not just use the sound off button? Have you checked in Settings > Sounds > Ringer and Alerts to see if "Change With Buttons" is switched on?

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
According to the online manual (here) that should work. But there are several other options open to you as well, including pressing 'sleep / wake' once or using the onscreen controls.

I would try a reboot of the phone; it clears lots of odd behaviours. Just this week bluetooth stopped working on my 6S until I did this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
This response will thrill judges, music concert attendees, politicians in various House sittings, passengers on planes, librarians, surgeons in theatre and thousands of others.

To quieten a mobile phone, place on a firm, hard surface and jump on it!

Reaction score
Hi,

You can silent the ringstone by the following method

* Download a silent ringtone to your computer. Examples such as the silence ringtone or silent ring can be found online.

* Open iTunes. Under LIBRARY on the left-hand menu in iTunes click Ringtones.

* Copy the silent ringtone into Ringtones.

Connect your iPhone to the computer and sync. The silent ringtone will now appear in your list of ringtones and you can assign this ringtone to specific contacts.

I hope the above information would be useful

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Wow, if this is necessary for the 6s.. I'll find something else after my 6 needs replacing. This is like drifting back to 2003.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yeah, I think downloading a silent ring tone though interesting in concept is going a bit far. I assumed you only wanted this feature intermittently. After all a mobile phone's primary purpose is to receive/make phone calls. If you want to receive phone calls and sound notifications but don't want the phone calls to ring just turn off the ringer with the switch provided.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.