iPad Pro Launched

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
In case anyone missed it…the new iPad Pro was launched/released yesterday. Lots of reviews have been posted with some great things being said (very good graphics performance, 4 speaker audio, 10 hour battery life, decent CPU performance, higher resolution than a 15" retina MacBook Pro).

iFixit.com gives it a repairability score of 3 out of 10. Says that the iPad Pro is put together with a lot of adhesives…making it pretty difficult to repair.

Here are the conclusions from the arstechnica review:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/1...-all-the-virtues-and-limitations-of-ios/4/#h6

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
*Doing the calculations...$1,185 after tax...it's not April 1 is it?*

Honestly, from what I've read, the iPP is trying to compete with higher end Windows tablets that run a full OS. The thought of running a tablet at this price point with a mobile OS is ridiculous. They want to position it as a productive device but I fail to see how $1,100 is a reasonable price to pay for what amounts to internal upgrades (albeit impressive ones). At the end of the day, you can throw 8 CPUs at this thing and it's still going to be overpriced for an iOS tablet.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
*Doing the calculations...$1,185 after tax...it's not April 1 is it?*

Is this Canadian dollars…or the price of the iPad Pro configured as you would like one? I know that the 32gig WiFi only iPad Pro starts at $799. In the recent past…a 9.7" 32gig WiFi only iPad Air 1 started at $599 (64gig iPad Air 2 WiFi only is now $599). Roughly a $200 up charge for the "better stuff" of the iPad Pro.

Honestly, from what I've read, the iPP is trying to compete with higher end Windows tablets that run a full OS. The thought of running a tablet at this price point with a mobile OS is ridiculous. They want to position it as a productive device but I fail to see how $1,100 is a reasonable price to pay for what amounts to internal upgrades (albeit impressive ones). At the end of the day, you can throw 8 CPUs at this thing and it's still going to be overpriced for an iOS tablet.

Yes…the price point (even $799) does put it close to the price point of other devices/choices. The reviews do mention that the iOS does hold a device like this back. The reviews also mention that iOS 9 does have quite a bit of room to grow. Hopefully Apple will implement some iOS changes to make the iPad Pro a more productive device (more of a stand alone/laptop replacement).:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Throw OS X on it and maybe we'll talk.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Is this Canadian dollars…or the price of the iPad Pro configured as you would like one? I know that the 32gig WiFi only iPad Pro starts at $799. In the recent past…a 9.7" 32gig WiFi only iPad Air 1 started at $599 (64gig iPad Air 2 WiFi only is now $599). Roughly a $200 up charge for the "better stuff" of the iPad Pro.
Yep, the base price is $1,049 and after tax (at least in ON), the price jumps to $1,185. 'Tis the consequence of a weak dollar...

Yes…the price point (even $799) does put it close to the price point of other devices/choices. The reviews do mention that the iOS does hold a device like this back. The reviews also mention that iOS 9 does have quite a bit of room to grow. Hopefully Apple will implement some iOS changes to make the iPad Pro a more productive device (more of a stand alone/laptop replacement).:)
This is the bottleneck - iOS does well as a consumption device but as soon as you try to extend it to serious production, you're going to hit a wall. I'm sure time will take care of that but right now, it's not quite there.

Throw OS X on it and maybe we'll talk.
That's exactly what a student of mine said today (and I agree that an optimized version would be great).

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
Given that the iPad has become my primary computing device at home (as opposed to work) and since serendipity meant that a bank sent me a cheque last week for an overcharging that happened over 6 years ago, and said cheque was more than the price of an iPad Pro...

ef67ba268f94b3079be6d3b762315920_zpsz15elyrr.jpg

I felt it would have been rude not to!

This is day 3 of Pro ownership. Minutes after setting it up and starting to use it, my Air 1 felt tiny by comparison. Here they are along with my wife's mini:

d39fd5aab51e42222f9d415778a64938_zpsj6u7cu2a.jpg

It really is an iPad on steroids. The 4 speaker sound system is awesome - it is so much more powerful than the old, single speaker system, and with genuine stereo sound it transforms media presentation, music and gameplay. The bigger display also means that apps which were previously a bit cramped on screen start to become a lot more usable. For example, I quite like strategy games and loads of these have been ported to the iPad, but where really tricky to play (for example, Settlers). They are now easy to work with on the Pro.

The screen is pretty much identical to having two Airs side by side:
6c02e93d715d31eb58138ac6a70cd08e_zpsnxo0daq7.jpg

The device is surprisingly light. You can certainly hold it in one hand when it is resting on your lap, for example, and use it that way for an extended period. The two part case (cover and case need to be bought separately) is excellent; it feels a better quality than the older, one piece smart case for the Air and it gives better protection, too. My Air case gaps near the hinge. The Smart Cover is flush to the screen throughout when closed, and also magnetically clips itself open when fully opened against the back of the device. You can still use the cover in 'triangle' configuration as an effective stand and it is just as stable as the Air would be.

The device is a powerhouse, as you would expect, and split-screen multitasking works fantastically with apps that support it. That is the current limitation - apps need to be updated to make use of the new screen estate and capabilities. For example, the Pro's keyboard has many more keys including a number row and most punctuation characters immediately available. But if you are using an app which has not been updated to make use of the Pro's capabilities you get a slightly enlarged version of the regular iPad keyboard instead.

Similarly, non-optimised apps rely on scaling to make the app fit the screen. One of my use cases is reading PDF manuals which typically are formatted as A4 or US Legal in size. Using PDF Expert (optimised for the Pro) they are crisp and a joy to read. My preferred PDF app (GoodReader) is not yet optimised so whilst the PDFs are bigger than on an Air they are slightly fuzzy. I'm sure many more apps will be optimise for the Pro in the near future.

I didn't bother with the Apple keyboard cover accessory as, personally, I think people who attach physical keyboard to their iPads are missing the point. In my opinion, if you need a keyboard you probably want a laptop. The add on keyboards for iPads add bulk and detract from the tablet strengths of being usable in different orientations.

I also didn't bother getting a pencil, but based on the video reviews coming out I think I might invest in one of these in the near future. I'm not an artist but I do traditionally use my iPad in meetings a lot, so it might be cool for note taking with the right app.

For now, I have kept my iPad Air 1. I'll see how much the bigger form factor impacts portability over the next month or so then make a decision one way or another. I used to carry my Air around most of the time, and whilst the Pro is still very portable it is obviously less so than an Air.

I know it is contentious to say that any iPad could replace a laptop, but keeping in mind the fact that the vast majority of people use their computer for the web, email and maybe a simple game or two I think that is totally believable. People like us who use computers at home for more than these simple things are the exception rather than the rule. And I would say that the iPad Pro is as close to a high end laptop experience as you can get with a tablet right now.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Given that the iPad has become my primary computing device at home (as opposed to work) and since serendipity meant that a bank sent me a cheque last week for an overcharging that happened over 6 years ago, and said cheque was more than the price of an iPad Pro...

Absolutely awesome you got an iPad Pro!:) You are Mac-Forums member #1 to get one (or at least to post about getting one)!;)

Great to hear that the iPad Pro's 4 speaker system sounds great. This was one thing that I wanted to hear feedback on.

Again…congrats on the iPad Pro purchase…and thanks for posting so much detail & photos. Also great you were able to "finance" it in such a relatively painless way!!!:)

- Nick

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The sound quality and power is night and day compared to any other iOS device. I probably won't bother taking my Jambox with me when traveling with the Pro. It's that good.

C

chas_m

I think the iPad (generally, referring to the regular size as well as the iPad Pro) is much more of a production device than VanSmith does, particularly with enterprise apps (and apparently, so does the enterprise sector). I agree with him that not being OS X does hold it back in some areas for consumers however.

I've got a bunch of animator friends who have had a chance to use them and you can't get them to shut up about how fabulous it is. So there is at least two markets where the iPP will do well, I think.

As I'm not an illustrator, I don't think I'll be getting one. I use my iPad Air 2 for all kinds of productive things all the time (mostly writing, but I did recently sort out all the travel, bookings and invoicing for a speaking tour recently using it and the iPhone, using a keyboard for the iPad), but there are certainly still things I "need" the MacBook Pro for (for example, podcast recording and editing).

I'm bullish on the iPad's future now that the chips have reached notebook-level performance. I think the next few years are going to be quite interesting for the iPad line, and I remain convinced that for most typical users (and even some people on this forum), an iPad or future iPad would replace the traditional, ill- and under-used "home computer."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
The sound quality and power is night and day compared to any other iOS device. I probably won't bother taking my Jambox with me when traveling with the Pro. It's that good.

Well, I was not planning on getting an iPad Pro (have the Air 2 & a MBPro laptop), but I would definitely want to hear the sound after your comment above - when we travel, I bring along my iPad w/ hours of MP3 music which I play via a BT speaker of good quality (pic below) - if I could bring one less thing on a trip, then becomes a plus in my consideration. An annoyance for me on a trip is using the iPad to type (despite bringing a BT keyboard) and still having to occasionally touch the screen - just find that irritating - not sure that the Pro offers an alternative?

BTW - there is a LOT of activity on the iPad Forums about this new iDevice - plenty of varied threads & posts, for those who want to hear from a number of folks who own the Pro. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2015-04-27 at 4.56.21 PM.png

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
An annoyance for me on a trip is using the iPad to type (despite bringing a BT keyboard) and still having to occasionally touch the screen - just find that irritating - not sure that the Pro offers an alternative?
Sorry, the Pro doesn't add anything beyond the other iPads in terms of input apart from the Pencil. And I'm not sure if that can be used as a generic stylus, given that it seems to work in a radically different way to other styli (it isn't capacitive, for example).

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A brief update after having the device for a few weeks now. I love it. Still highly portable (smaller than your typical A4 notepad) and the more feature-rich keyboard improves onscreen typing noticably.

The only bugbear is that not all apps are updated to use the new features yet, so you still have to use the old keyboard in some instances and you can't always do side-by-side multitasking. 'Magnified' apps also look a little fuzzy in some cases.

The multi-tasking app switcher is (as many have said) very basic at the moment, but I'm confident this will be improved in a future iOS release.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm a bit disappointed folks. This thing came out an entire week before my birthday and none of you got me one.:Not-Amused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm a bit disappointed folks. This thing came out an entire week before my birthday and none of you got me one.:Not-Amused:

Well, birthday greetings from your fellow forum members! O:) Dave :)
Screen Shot 2015-11-26 at 10.18.18 AM.png

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks Dave. All the cake without the calories. Gotta like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Dave. All the cake without the calories. Gotta like that.

Well, my wife's BD is in January and she wants to go to Charlotte for a few nights - stay @ the Ritz and see the musical Wicked (only the scalpers seem to have tickets for the good seats left!) - I could get her a new iMac w/ a SSD for what that trip will cost us! But, we should have a great time! :) Dave

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
But Dave, a happy wife is worth so much more than a new iMac! Have fun. BTW, my wife's birthday is likewise in January. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But Dave, a happy wife is worth so much more than a new iMac! Have fun. BTW, my wife's birthday is likewise in January. :)

LOL! Oh, I agree completely after nearly a half century together! :) She is having trouble w/ the ticket issue, plus Wicked is at an older venue in Charlotte, so I may have to 'threw in' a spa appointment for her - ;) Dave

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My Pencil arrived today, ordered about three weeks ago. It's incredible in the Notes app:
13edaa41883e865455af7e5489c4443f_zpskoze4a0i.jpg

Not so hot in Autodesk Sketch, there is lag visible in that app. Hopefully they will integrate it further in the near future. I haven't explored note taking apps with handwriting recognition yet.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My Pencil arrived today, ordered about three weeks ago. It's incredible in the Notes app:

Congrats.:) At $99…it better be incredible!;)

Awesome example above!:)

Agreed. Hopefully use in other apps will improve.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.