Browsing Network Problem

S

Scott

Hi All

Please be gentle with me, first post and im lost already! had my Mac Mini about 3 weeks, and im stuck.

Its one of 3 Computers on my Network, all of which are using thr same workgroup, same Gateway and 192.168.1.XX range of IPs. The problem im having is i cant browse the network on my Mac.

If i click on Go > Network > Then click the network icon, nothing happens. If i right click that, and "Get Info" it opens up a window, but with not much info in there. I can access the Mac From my windows PC, and save files onto it and stuff fine. I can also see the Mac Mini's name in the Workgroup so that all seems fine.

Does anyone have anything i can try to see why i cant connect to shares and stuff from my Mac that are shared on my PC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
make sure that you have windows sharing on. it usually takes a couple of minutes to see the windows boxes in teh network folder. when you open a finder window, click on network and see what is there. wait a few minutes for the folders to show up. also, make sure that you are sharing out folders on the windows boxes for the mac to see. check the permissions on them as well.

OP
S

Scott

Hi, thanks for the reply

Ive checked the Windows Sharing and thats on and working seemingly OK. Ive rebooted just to see and i still cant browse.

Ive create a couple of Different shares on the windows PC, and now i can connect to them using the Go > Connect to server (i wasnt using the SMB:// at the start) i still cant browse my workgroup...

So its half sorted :(

OP
S

Scott

Well its fixed, but all i did was install the 10.4.6 update, and that sorted everything :)

Dont know what caused it, but im happy its fixed! lol

Reaction score
hm, im having a problem with my network too, i cant access my mac mini from my windows based computers, it prompts me for a password and username and i type what i use to log in on the mac (i can only assume thats what it wants??) and nothing happens, i think i have all the sharing set correctly. anyone know what to do?

OP
S

Scott

RiseAbove24 said:
hm, im having a problem with my network too, i cant access my mac mini from my windows based computers, it prompts me for a password and username and i type what i use to log in on the mac (i can only assume thats what it wants??) and nothing happens, i think i have all the sharing set correctly. anyone know what to do?

I created my Mac User/Pass the same as what was on my Windows PC and it worked OK for me... I cant quite remember, but can you set the user/pass when you do the windows sharing?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.