Powermac G5 Ram

M

MuffinMan

Could someone tell me the differance between a 1 GB ram kit and a 2 GB ram kit if the G5 has 8 ram slots and can only hold 8 GB of ram? If each slot could hold 2 GB.. thats 16 GB.

Happy Holidays
MuffinMan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
i think what the 2gb kit is meant for is for people who lets say already have 7 slots filled with 256 ram (about 1.5 gb) they want to add more ram a 2gb kit allows them to just put in 1 stick which would be all they have available while getting the most out of the slott

OP
T

troilus

On the G5, the ram chips have to be mirrored. That is, you can't have a chip in the top bay without an equal chip being in the bottom bay and vice versa. A 2GB kit is probably two 1GB chips. So you could probably only fit four "kits" in your computer giving you 8GBs of RAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
yea i like troilus's answer better than mine but since you didnt specify what the "kits" consisted of so we couldnt be sure

OP
J

jerodhusvar

Well, I just got some G5's in and Trollus is right. You have to mirror the ram.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.