Which method is best when updating from 10.11 to 10.11.1 ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac, High Sierra, 32 GB Memory
Looks like I need to do the update to 10.11.1 because I need to install Office 2016 for work. Now have 10.11 and know there are problems without the latest update. So, looks like I have three different ways to do this.

1. Update from the Apple Store

2. Download the update from the Apple Downloads site. https://support.apple.com/downloads/macos

3. Download the entire OS and make a bootable installer.

Currently have everything working properly and have a CCC backup as well as a TM backup.

I do not have unlimited internet so I'll have to watch my usage for the rest of the month if I go with #3, but I will if this is the best method.

What do you experts say?

Thanks.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If your system is working well go with either option 1 or 2. I doubt there is much difference in the size of the two updates. Since you apparently have a bootable CCC clone having a bootable installer is less of an issue than it might be otherwise. No need burning through your Internet allotment re-downloading the entire El Capitan file.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Another vote for the App Store update. SHould you ever experience any problems, Apple release what is known as a Combo Updater. When our machines connect to the App Store, the download includes what is necessary only for that model, hence we see different sizes reported in the threads from time to time. The Combo downloads everything for all models and installs as necessary.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If your system is working well go with either option 1 or 2. I doubt there is much difference in the size of the two updates. Since you apparently have a bootable CCC clone having a bootable installer is less of an issue than it might be otherwise. No need burning through your Internet allotment re-downloading the entire El Capitan file.

Another vote for the App Store update. SHould you ever experience any problems, Apple release what is known as a Combo Updater. When our machines connect to the App Store, the download includes what is necessary only for that model, hence we see different sizes reported in the threads from time to time. The Combo downloads everything for all models and installs as necessary.

Thanks guys. I went with #1 and everything went fine. Harry, didn't know that about the Apple Store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

I don't think Apple has released a COMBO Updater for 10.11.x yet, with just the 10.11.1 update available so far AFAIK.
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1845?locale=en_CA
And File Size: 1.19 GB

Software Update is still usually the best and most efficient.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think Apple has released a COMBO Updater for 10.11.x yet, with just the 10.11.1 update available so far AFAIK.
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1845?locale=en_CA
And File Size: 1.19 GB

Software Update is still usually the best and most efficient.

The Combo shows up in the Apple Store in the Feature section if you select El Capitan from there.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's the screen shot.

Screen Shot 2015-11-08 at 7.34.51 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
The Combo shows up in the Apple Store in the Feature section if you select El Capitan from there.

Thanks, but that doesn't seem to be what Apple would call a "Combo" version, and I'm guessing one will come and be available maybe after the next 10.11.2 update.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.