Keyboard function keys shortcuts with El Capitan

Reaction score
Just installed El Capitan. Using Apple full size, USB, keyboard. System Prefs > Keyboard > App Shortcuts > + (add shortcut) set F15 key, for example -- does not work. Only the volume up and down, brightness up or down, and Mission Control function keys work

Reaction score
If you want them to do something else go into System Preferences/Keyboard and tick "Use all F1, F2 etc as standard function keys" box.
Or hold down the Fn key then the Fkey.

OP
B
Reaction score
I tried with that box ticked and un-ticked. I tried holding down the Fn key. No success.

OP
B
Reaction score
I tried another iMac in our office. Same results. So what am I doing wrong?

Here is what I am trying to accomplish. My Apple aluminum, full size keyboard (USB connected) has function keys F1 through F19. With El Capitan the F1 and F2 brighten or dim the display as indicated on them by the little "sun" icon. F3 opens the Dashboard. F4 opens Launchpad. F5 and F6 do nothing. F7 and F8 open iTunes and F9 fast forwards movies. F10 mutes the system sound and F11 and F12 control the volume. Next is a Disk Eject key.

F13 through F19 which currently do nothing.

So let's say I want to set F13 to open the Calculator app. My understanding is, I go to Systems Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts tab > App Shortcuts > then click the "+" and in the All Applications drop down choose the Calculator App. /give it a Menu Title like "Calculator" and tab or click to / in the Keyboard Shortcut box and then hit the F13 key. I close out of Preferences and try the F13 Key. The Calculator app does not open.

What am I missing? And if this is just the way El Capitan works (or does not work) are there any 3rd party apps that can program the function keys?

Reaction score
Ah. That's not how it works. What You're doing is setting a key for an application menu command. In this case, a command for the Calculator menu item in the application Calculator, which does not exist.
What you need is a launcher with programmable keys. Just make sure whatever key you use is not already in use by something else.
Maybe something like Alfred.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.