• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Can someone explain what this means?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5- 1.8Ghz - 1GB of Ram - AND - 17" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac - 2Ghz - 1GB of Ram
Picture%205.png

This is what my mac is using right now, however I would like to know exactly what it all means. I have 1GB total RAM right now and am possibly thinking of upgrading. Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Basically, it means you aren't utilizing the total RAM you have now, so an upgrade really won't show any improvement or increased performance for you.
:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
That big chunk of green in the pie is good. You still have about 300Mb of actual memory available. Assuming that this snapshot was taken during "average" usage (i.e how you normally use your Mac) you are good. More RAM would allow you to have more Apps open at once, but do you really have 16 Apps open at once on a regular basis?

OP
evolve
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5- 1.8Ghz - 1GB of Ram - AND - 17" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac - 2Ghz - 1GB of Ram
Well I'm glad to know that I don't need any more RAM, that answers THAT question for me, can you guys elaberate on what the 'Wired', 'Active', 'Inactive', and 'Used' means. I know that sounds like a silly request as for the most part the titles are self explaaitory, but just in case there is something more that I dont know, i would appreciate it. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wired = RAM that is dedicated to the System (OS) for use (I think, someone will correct me if I am wrong).

Active = RAM being actively used by an App or the System.

Inactive = RAM that is reserved for but not currently being used by an open App or System resource, perhaps an App that is open but idle.

Used = Total RAM that is being currently used.

Free = The amount of available, unused RAM for use.

VM Size = The amount of Hard Drive Space that the system has reserved for use a "Virtual Memory"

OP
evolve
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks baggss, Finally, now I know what it all means! :)

K

Kokopelli

evolve said:
Picture%205.png

This is what my mac is using right now, however I would like to know exactly what it all means. I have 1GB total RAM right now and am possibly thinking of upgrading. Thanks for your help.

Sort of short version:

wired: Memory which must stay in resident memory. Basically the kernel and related code.

Active: Memory in active use right now by some application or process. This is not really true but the easier to grasp. Techinically active memory is memory that has recently been accessed.

Inactive: Memory that has not been recently accessed. This is kept in resident memory to reduce the need for paging. It will also be the first thing paged should memory need to be freed.

Used: Wired+Active+Inacitve

Free: Uh.... free memory.

VM Size: The amount of virtual memory space that has been allocated for all running processes.

Page Ins: Number of reads from disk into memory. Safe to ignore for the most part.

Page outs: How many writes from memory to disk. If this number increases rapidly or continually (i.e. disk thrashing) then you have a problem. You are not close to that though. You have plenty of free memory and a significant amount of inactive.

If you added more memory it would allow more stuff to sit in inactive memory, thus reducing page outs, but I doubt you would see much of a performance boost based on those numbers.

EDIT: Too slow.

OP
evolve
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The second link is very usefull. Thanks!

OP
evolve
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know this post is old, but I wanted to thank all of you that help explain this to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
I think a mod should sticky some of these links: they're very beneficial in determining if you need more RAM :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.