Ipod Nano - Backup option greyed out.........

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27", Late 2013
Hi guy's, I'm currently trying to backup my ipod nano. I was previously running iTunes on my MacBook Air a number of months ago, and the format of the device in iTunes is listed as "Windows" so I figured, and was told by a few people that I will only be able to backup my iPod from my original Windows machine.

I'm now back on said Windows PC, I've hooked up the iPod to ITunes, but the backup option is STILL greyed out......can anyone offer any pointers on what could be wrong?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What are you trying to backup? You might need special software if you have items on the Nano that you did not download from iTunes. You can not backup a Nano the same way as you would your iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch as those devices run iOS which can be backed up to your computer through iTunes or backed up to the cloud. (iCloud) If you have all your Nano content backed up, you can then attach the Nano to your MBA and reset it. That will format it for the Mac and place the latest version of the Nano software on it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.