1GB versus 2GB is iMac

Reaction score
1GB versus 2GB in an Intel based iMac

Hello:

So I've had my intel based iMac for over a week now, and everything is great!

I upgraded the memory from 512 to 1GB. The performance gains were definitely noticeable. It's seems much quicker at handling multiple applications. Curious to know if there would be considerable/noticeable gains with increasing the memory to 2GB? What are you thoughts?

I found an article on the internet, in which they tested the speed of mac mini with 256, 512, and 1GB of memory. There were huge gains stepping up to the 512, but very little with the 1GB versus the 512. Curious if this would apply to the imac.

I don't use photoshop, or play games. I mostly surf the net, work with excel & filemaker internet windows open, itunes, and Word. I usually have multiple applications going as well...

Just curious to hear some opinions. Great if someone actually tested this...

Regards,

VJ

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
For what you do you probably won't notice a speed increase, 1GB should be fine for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32941

Open Activity monitor under your normal use and check your memory usage. The above thread will help you decode what it means. I have 2GB, but I am sure I don't need it, in fact I have 1.08GB used right now after days of being on continuously. I doubt there will be any noticable speed gain if you go for 2GB.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.