10.11.1 Error code -36 when copying files between External Hard Drives

Reaction score
MacBook Pro Mid-2010, 2.66Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB Ram

I'll try and be brief but I'm not sure where along the road the problem arose.

-A few days ago, I updated my machine to 10.11.1
-I decided to consolidate my very large Aperture photo library (in anticipation of a migration to Lightroom)
-Within Aperture I "relocated originals" from both within the App's internal catalogue on my Mac as well as on an external hard drive to another external hard drive. This process took several hours. Out of about 55,000 photos, there were about 150 error messages saying it could not find the file but it seemed to finish successfully.

-When I tried to copy the folder containing the 55,000 photos to another external hard drive as a backup, the process repeatedly failed, returning the error:

The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “L1011712.DNG” can’t be read or written. (Error code -36)

I assumed the problem was specific to that one photo but it kept recurring with several photos. It seemed this was a major problem several years ago which was fixed by Apple with an update to 10.6. I don't know whether this is a new problem with 10.11.1 or if it is specific to my machine. A recent article suggested doing a "dot_clean" fix. (http://osxdaily.com/2015/02/21/fix-error-code-36-finder-mac-os-x/)

My question - plea for help - is this?

I don't have a backup of this photo library. This is what I was trying to create when the Error Code -36 appeared. Therefore, I can't afford to experiment. I need as safe a fix as possible.

1. Is the problem with my Mac, the sending hard drive, the receiving hard drive or the photo library itself?
2. Is there some way of creating a backup copy of this massive file before I attempt a fix? It doesn't appear to be a problem with just a small number of photos.

Years of memories are at stake so I'd be hugely grateful for any assistance!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Error 36 is data corruption or otherwise known as read/write errors. Since you have a lot invested in those photos and do not want to risk any further corruption, it might be best to use something like Disk Warrior to attempt repairs. Disk Warrior is expensive and does not offer a trial version. $119.95 for a license. Here is the Link to their web site and download.

Keep in mind that the more you use those hard drives the more you risk data loss. The idea is to do the repairs and extract the data with the minimum of effort and then transfer to a new drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.