Mac Mini MD388LL/A

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina 3.0 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3/Mac Mini 2.3GHz Intel i7 Quad Core 16RAM
Morning, everyone!

I just purchased a Mac Mini, late 2012 model and am looking to make some upgrades to it.

I don't want to break the bank, but I also want to make wise choices. What do you guys suggest? Here are the specs:

Product Information
Designed to deliver sheer performance, the feature-rich Apple Mac Mini MD388LL/A desktop helps you improve your efficiency. Driven by the powerful Intel Core i7 quad core 2.3 GHz using Turbo Boost technology and 4 GB DDR3 RAM, the Apple Mac Mini MD388LL/A desktop ensures smoother processing and faster computing. Integrated with the Intel HD Graphics 4000 card, this Mac Mini desktop renders graphics and videos without disruptions. Boasting support for Thunderbolt, this desktop lets you use peripherals, which optimize the performance of your system. Available with a massive 1 TB HDD, this Mac Mini desktop allows you to store a huge amount of data and media on it. Functioning on OS X Mountain Lion, this Ethernet and Wi-Fi-enabled desktop offers office applications and uninterrupted connectivity, thereby maximizing your productivity. Smart, compact, and reliable, the Apple Mac Mini MD388LL/A desktop is just perfect for your workstation.

Product Identifiers
Brand Apple
Product Family Mac Mini
UPC 885909546848

Processor
Processor Type Intel Intel Core i7 3rd Gen.
Processor Speed 2.30 GHz
Number of Cores Quad-Core

Motherboard
Video Output Interface USB
Motherboard I/O Ports FireWire (IEEE1394b) x 1, HDMI x 1, RJ45 Lan Port x 1, USB 2.0 x 4

Technical Features
Expansion Slots SDXC card

Hard Drive
Hard Drive Capacity 1.02 TB
Hard Drive Rotation Speed 5400 RPM
Hard Drive Interface Serial ATA III

Memory
RAM Technology DDR3 SDRAM
Installed RAM 4 GB
RAM Max Supported Size 16 GB
RAM Memory Slots Qunatity 2 x SODIMM
Installed Cache Memory 3 MB

Video
On Board Graphic Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000
Video Outputs DVI x 1

Audio
Audio Input Line In (3.5mm), Microphone, Stereo Input Jack
Audio Output Analog Audio, Headphone, Line out, Speakers

Networking
Data Link Protocol Bluetooth, Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n
Networking Type Bluetooth, Integrated 10/100/1000 Network Card, Integrated Wireless LAN

Miscellaneous
Form Factor Desktop Slimline
Release Date October, 2012
Other Features 64bit Ready

I know I need/should upgrade the RAM to the 16 MB. What brands do you suggest? I will be using this primarily for streaming netflix, running plex and downloading with SABNZB, etc.

Thank you in advance for your tips! I am so excited about this purchase, I've been trying to find a quad core for a reasonable price since the new ones are only dual cores and no longer upgradeable. :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OP
cherry_bomb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina 3.0 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3/Mac Mini 2.3GHz Intel i7 Quad Core 16RAM
You could start here and do a search on one of your main keywords — 'upgrade'
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/specs/mac-mini-core-i7-2.3-late-2012-specs.html

I don't know that you'd even need to upgrade the RAM to the max 16GB for what you're planning to do with it. But I will say that to "upgrade the RAM to the 16 MB" would definitely be completely inadequate as well as impossible. ;)

Pffffffffffffffffft. It was early and I'm still only half awake. LOL AND. A doggie got hit in front of my house late last night and I am still thoroughly traumatized by it. :'(:'(:'(

The Plex site suggests having at least 8 GB, so I figure it wouldn't hurt to go up to the 16 MB ( ha ha just kidding), or do you think it would just be throwing money away? I have zero patience for slowness on computers. I've been using a POS pc laptop to run my media center and it's all I can do to not throw it onto the freeway. LOL

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Pretty much the only two upgrades you can do are ram and HD. So you could upgrade the ram…and install a bigger/faster HD…or install an SSD.

For ram…simply purchase from OWC (macsales.com) or Crucial.com.

Yes…If I was going to get a Mac-Mini. One of the 2012 quad-cores would be one of the models I would consider.:)

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
cherry_bomb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I almost bought a new one, not realizing that the 2012 quad cores would be a more sound investment. Thank goodness I looked into it more. I am SO excited to get it, it will arrive in two days. I bought it off eBay, but it's a sealed refurb from Apple, still under the 1 yr refurb warranty so I can also purchase Apple Care for it. Woo hoo!

Now. About the SSD. I've heard a lot about people installing the them and running it was a fusion drive. Is this the way to go or is it serious overkill? And would I void my Apple Care if I was to do any upgrades?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Using Activity Monitor is a good idea to get some idea of how much memory you need, but in your case and having a quick look at OWC, I'd say it's a no brainer to go with the 16GB RAM for $20.00 more than the 12 GB option and only $50.00 more than the 8GB option., at least with my quick aprox figuring:
http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upgrades.cfm?model=462

I'm not sure what else may need upgrading as I don't do that type of stuff, but I've never been one for find any HDD below 7200RPM to be any real speed deamon, if that even a concern for what you're planning. I'd check on what those requirements are which it looks like you have already done some.

Good luck.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I almost bought a new one, not realizing that the 2012 quad cores would be a more sound investment.

The 2012 Mac-Mini is good if you have serious computing tasks involving the CPU (quad-core). But newer Mac-Mini's have much better graphics hardware. So it sort of depends on what you do.

Now. About the SSD. I've heard a lot about people installing the them and running it was a fusion drive.

Fusion drive and SSD are not the same.

- Nick

C

chas_m

If this is really a 2012 Mac Mini, you are not going to be eligible for AppleCare, "sealed" or not (let's just say I'm a bit suspicious of that; refurbs don't come "sealed"). Perhaps Apple will be nice, but they're under zero obligation to offer AppleCare to a machine that's been buried in a backyard or whatever for nearly four years.

If you have "zero patience for slow computers," the SSD would be a priority over more than 8GB of RAM IMHO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
… … …
If you have "zero patience for slow computers," the SSD would be a priority over more than 8GB of RAM IMHO.

And ain't it a pain even when you've made that Mac capable of going as fast as it can, and the 'Net or the site being accessed is as slow as …. ???

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just wanted to add a comment regarding the refurbished condition of this Mac-Mini. "Apple Refurbished" and some other companies "refurbished" are not the same. When you purchase an "Apple Refurbished" computer…it automatically comes with 12 months of Applecare (must be purchased directly from Apple).

If this Mac-Mini was purchased from someone other than Apple…I would be very careful how I interpret "Apple Refurbished" if it were me.

- Nick

OP
cherry_bomb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Using Activity Monitor is a good idea to get some idea of how much memory you need, but in your case and having a quick look at OWC, I'd say it's a no brainer to go with the 16GB RAM for $20.00 more than the 12 GB option and only $50.00 more than the 8GB option., at least with my quick aprox figuring:
http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upgrades.cfm?model=462

I'm not sure what else may need upgrading as I don't do that type of stuff, but I've never been one for find any HDD below 7200RPM to be any real speed deamon, if that even a concern for what you're planning. I'd check on what those requirements are which it looks like you have already done some.

Good luck.

Good suggestions, I will look into that!

OP
cherry_bomb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just wanted to add a comment regarding the refurbished condition of this Mac-Mini. "Apple Refurbished" and some other companies "refurbished" are not the same. When you purchase an "Apple Refurbished" computer…it automatically comes with 12 months of Applecare (must be purchased directly from Apple).

If this Mac-Mini was purchased from someone other than Apple…I would be very careful how I interpret "Apple Refurbished" if it were me.

- Nick

This is what he put in his listing:

This is your chance to buy a very difficult to come by 2.3GHz Intel i7 QUAD CORE Mac Mini that has been refurbished to like-new condition directly from Apple and comes with a 1-year Apple backed warranty (through October 2016). Compared to the current line of Mac Mini's that Apple offers, this model has a number of advantages including:
2.3GHz Intel i7 Quad Core processor (current models are only available with Dual Core processors)
User upgradable memory. At current prices, you can max out this Mac Mini with 16GB of Memory for around $75. Apple's new Mac Mini models have they memory soldered onto the motherboard and it can only be upgraded at the time of purchase for astronomical prices ($100 to upgrade from 4GB to 8GB, $300 to upgrade from 4GB to 16GB
These models also have user upgradable hard drives (up to 2 drives total) which opens up numerous possibilities including:
Swap out the original 1TB spinning HDD for a screaming fast SSD
Remove the original 1TB spinning HDD and add up to 2 SSD's
Create a fusion drive by combining 1 SSD and 1 HDD for the best of both worlds at a lower cost (large capacity with improved performance)
Best of all, this Mac Mini is eligible for AppleCare Warranty extension (for a total of 3 years of warranty coverage) as long as it is purchased anytime while it is under its original 1 year warranty

He has excellent feedback and has been selling a lot of pricey computers. I'm hoping he is giving accurate information.

OP
cherry_bomb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And ain't it a pain even when you've made that Mac capable of going as fast as it can, and the 'Net or the site being accessed is as slow as …. ???

SO ANNOYING. LOL :Not-Amused:

OP
cherry_bomb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If this is really a 2012 Mac Mini, you are not going to be eligible for AppleCare, "sealed" or not (let's just say I'm a bit suspicious of that; refurbs don't come "sealed"). Perhaps Apple will be nice, but they're under zero obligation to offer AppleCare to a machine that's been buried in a backyard or whatever for nearly four years.

Well, I hope that's not the case... this is what he has in his listing, and he has been selling them for awhile with no negative feedback. It sounds as if it was just purchased as a refurb from Apple, not that is been sitting around for awhile. :(

This is your chance to buy a very difficult to come by 2.3GHz Intel i7 QUAD CORE Mac Mini that has been refurbished to like-new condition directly from Apple and comes with a 1-year Apple backed warranty (through October 2016). Compared to the current line of Mac Mini's that Apple offers, this model has a number of advantages including:
2.3GHz Intel i7 Quad Core processor (current models are only available with Dual Core processors)
User upgradable memory. At current prices, you can max out this Mac Mini with 16GB of Memory for around $75. Apple's new Mac Mini models have they memory soldered onto the motherboard and it can only be upgraded at the time of purchase for astronomical prices ($100 to upgrade from 4GB to 8GB, $300 to upgrade from 4GB to 16GB
These models also have user upgradable hard drives (up to 2 drives total) which opens up numerous possibilities including:
Swap out the original 1TB spinning HDD for a screaming fast SSD
Remove the original 1TB spinning HDD and add up to 2 SSD's
Create a fusion drive by combining 1 SSD and 1 HDD for the best of both worlds at a lower cost (large capacity with improved performance)
Best of all, this Mac Mini is eligible for AppleCare Warranty extension (for a total of 3 years of warranty coverage) as long as it is purchased anytime while it is under its original 1 year warranty

OP
cherry_bomb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The 2012 Mac-Mini is good if you have serious computing tasks involving the CPU (quad-core). But newer Mac-Mini's have much better graphics hardware. So it sort of depends on what you do.

Fusion drive and SSD are not the same.

- Nick

Whoops..., I meant I had heard about people installing an SSD and running it WITH a fusion drive. :)

OP
cherry_bomb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

- Nick

It will be used for to run my home theater system, movies, tv, etc :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is what he put in his listing:

This is your chance to buy a very difficult to come by 2.3GHz Intel i7 QUAD CORE Mac Mini that has been refurbished to like-new condition directly from Apple and comes with a 1-year Apple backed warranty (through October 2016).

Thanks for the additional info…this makes more sense.:)

Yes…everything he said is kosher. When you get it…you should check at Apple.com to verify that the 12 month complementary Applecare is in fact good thru October, 2016. And yes…if you wanted to purchase additional Applecare…you would need to do it before the initial 12 months have expired.

- Nick

OP
cherry_bomb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the additional info…this makes more sense.:)

Yes…everything he said is kosher. When you get it…you should check at Apple.com to verify that the 12 month complementary Applecare is in fact good thru October, 2016. And yes…if you wanted to purchase additional Applecare…you would need to do it before the initial 12 months have expired.

- Nick

Phew! Sorry for not being clear. :p Thanks again for all of your help, I really appreciate it!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Phew! Sorry for not being clear.

I (and others) see lots of folks (individuals & business's) selling Apple computers on ebay…and the word "refurbished" can get thrown around kind of liberally.

Take a look at this ebay sellers listing for a Mac-Mini which states "Genuine Apple Refurbished". Yes…maybe this 2011/2012 Mac-Mini was Apple refurbished at some point. But the 12 month Applecare that came with it has probably expired long ago (thus wouldn't qualify for extended Applecare)…and now the seller is including their own "90 Day Warranty".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Mac-M...653655?hash=item2808c27597:g:H6oAAOSwI-BWKozF

Sounds like your Mac-Mini should be fine when it comes to the Applecare. Just verify when you get it.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.