iPad linked with different OS X user but same iTunes (as me that is)???

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX
I have an iPad Retina ("3") that I failed to sell for what it was worth so I'm giving it to my wife to use as an overpriced Kindle (That was a struggle by the way...she didn't want it). I'd like to associate it with her OS X account (I have a iMac with each of us having our own accounts) so she has her Safari favorite, history, etc... However, I would like to have it connected to my Apple/iTunes account (she doesn't have any) so all app/music purchases are in one library. I assume this is possible...but how exactly? The OS X/iOS syncing was so seamless for my devices that I'm not really sure how it was done nor how to do it differently? I assume I would just set it up as a new device that would also eventually create her own iCloud account. I would then link iTunes to my Apple account separately?

Ideas? Tricks?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
When she creates her OSX user sign in (or up) with her iCloud account. Use the same account on the iPad. This will use her iCloud account for syncing favourites, iMessages, notes etc.

Once done just sign into the App store with your credentials for purchasing.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hey "mrplow", where have you been? We certainly have missed all your good input and expertise. Hope you plan on sticking around for awhile... :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Ditto. Glad to have you back Mr. Plow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Hmmm…???? "…I have an iPad Retina ("3") that I failed to sell for what it was worth so I'm giving it to my wife to use as an overpriced Kindle (That was a struggle by the way…she didn't want it). …"
and I'd say you have one very smart wife.

Buy her a Kobo or Kindle for the battery savings convenience alone and how long they can last on a single charge. iPads just don't cut it or last long enough if she's an avid reader.

PS: BTY My wife and all her friends finds the Kobo much superior. And a heck of a lot cheaper as well.

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX
And a heck of a lot cheaper as well.
Not if I already own the iPad and can't sell it for anywhere near what it's worth.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Not if I already own the iPad and can't sell it for anywhere near what it's worth.

Well, then just go for the conveniences and advantages and quit worrying about the money part so much.

My wife has no problem and really enjoys both her iPad 3 and her Kobo.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.