iMac won't reboot!

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16 Inch 2019 MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76)
Yes. I would disconnect any external devices when doing this…simply to eliminate any possibility that an external device is causing any issues.

Let's take things one step at a time.:) Let's see if your computer will boot into the Recovery Partition first. If it does…great. But remember. You already mentioned that sometime the computer will boot properly…and sometimes not. This can be an indication of a failing HD (sometimes works, sometimes not).

- Nick

p.s. To answer the question. If you do get into the Recovery Partition ok…and choose the reinstall OS option. It will install a fresh version of the OS…and NOT delete anything (as long as you don't erase the disk). Of course having a backup…as you mentioned) is always a great idea. But be aware…if something happens during the reinstall of the OS…the OS reinstall may not complete (this can happen with a failing HD).

p.p.s. BEFORE reinstalling the OS (if you get that far). Run Disk Utility…and try to repair the disk FIRST!

Thanks! Should I run the Risk Utility first before even trying the Command+R? I am not sure if I partitioned my hard drive or not. I saw a good youtube video that shows me how to see if it is.
Also, I am not even sure how t use the Disk Utility. This HD sure sounds like it is struggling. It has that sound. lol

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks! Should I run the Risk Utility first before even trying the Command+R?

No! You NEED to run Disk Utility from the Recovery Partition because Disk Utility can do a better job of repairing the drive (if possible & if needed) from the Recovery partition.

I am not sure if I partitioned my hard drive or not. I saw a good youtube video that shows me how to see if it is.

Your HD is already in at least two partitions. Ever since Mac OS 10.7 (Lion)…which is what you have installed on your computer I believe. The OS installer creates a small partition (the Recovery Partition) and a 2nd much larger partition (which is the part the user uses for all their "stuff" plus the Mac OS).

When you boot using the command +r keys…you are booting into the smaller Recovery Partition.

Also, I am not even sure how t use the Disk Utility.

Now is a GREAT time to learn!:)

This HD sure sounds like it is struggling. It has that sound. lol

This could be for one of two reasons.

- First...it could be because the hard drive is failing (time for a new HD).
- Second…it could be because your HD is almost full. Let us know how FULL this HD is (gigs used & gigs free).

* Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
For a few other times and reasons a hard drive can make a "normal" audible sound:
- Spotlight is doing some indexing
- Time Machine is doing some backup
- normal heavy use due to some software …
… etc…

But if it's making odd sounds and it should be sitting idle, then its probably in trouble, and definitely so if it's making a clicking type sound. The old click of death has hit, but it probably wouldn't even be working at that stage. :(

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16 Inch 2019 MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76)
Sorry I have not responded sooner. I am taking my iMac to apple. here is a screen shot. I don't think I have too many files on my hard drive. What do you think?
HARDDRIVESPACE.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.