Synchronize anyone?

N

nicely

I thought a few clicks here and there would straighten things out, but I soon found myself up that well known creek without a paddle. Profoundly inept, I've managed to assemble several versions of the same file in several places on my groaning HD. While most persons would be happy with one or two address books, I have at least five, maybe more.

I'm hoping someone can advise me of the existence of a modestly priced cure for my distress. It should not be too sophisticated, but it must be able to digest several copies of the same file and provide a synchronized end product.

My most desperate need is to synchronize three "bookmarks.plist" files that normally reside (one at a time) in Home - Library - Safari - Bookmarks.plist. Since I can't open these, I have no idea what's is in the two hanging out in "Applications." Since I'm missing a scintillating list of already saved "bookmarks," I'm hoping I can salvage them from the two bookmarks.plist files sitting fallow in Applications.

I know I deserve a medal for inventing such an innovative screw-up, but I'd modestly settle for a solution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Have you tried the "Import Bookmarks" from the File menu in Safari?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you select import bookmarks from safari's file menu you will be able to browse your hard drive for the random bookmark files you seem to have in your applications folder. Select the bookmarks.plist in the Applications folder and import them.

OP
N

nicely

I'm running MOS X 10.3.9 on a G3 iBook. According to Safari "Help" I had to do all my importing when I first opened Safari. Evidently I'm out of luck now. However, this information is tempered by the further observation, "You might be able to move your bookmarks to Safari by exporting them from your web browser as an HTML document. Then open the document in Safari and open your Bookmarks Library in a separate window. Drag the links from the first window to a collection in your Bookmarks Library."

I sorta understand that — but I'm not too swift with that HTML stuff? Is there a way for me to convert my bookmaks.plist files into HTML format?

Also, I've learned in "Help" that if I had signed up for ".mail" I could have done all this with iSync. That doesn't really help me, I'm too cheap to sign on for $99 just to synchronize my plist files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WHOA BUDDY,....

Did you do what I told you to do?

Forget Mac Help. That's why you posted here right???

Follow my previous instructions. That is it,...!!!

OP
N

nicely

I like your spirit. I'm ready to walk through fire for you — but in trying to follow your orders the first time around, the reality was there is no "Import Bookmarks" on my Safari File menu. That particular dialogue box has the following listed: New Window, New Tab, Open File..., Open Location, Close Window, Close Tab, Save As..., Page Setup..., Print. That's it!

I'm in the right pew, right?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.