Won't Reboot after installing El Capitan

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac, High Sierra, 32 GB Memory
Does your CCC clone also have a copy of the El Capitan installer on it?

Don't believe so.

And I was referring to the initial repair when you still had Yosemite.

Everything was fine while running Yosemite. Guess it might be a good idea to run that prior to an upgrade. Too late for that.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
In any case that is all in the dim past now. So let me get this straight. You have a bootable USB installer for OSX 10.11 that worked successfully to instal El Capitan on your wife's nearly new iMac. You on the other hand have an iMac that came with OSX Lion installed. That makes it about 4 years old right and it will not boot from the internal HD despite Disk Utility giving it the all clear.
I have encountered this problem once before and this is what I did. Can you boot up the iMac using Command + R keys? If you can go to disk utility and erase the HD.
Quit Disk Utility and shut down. Plug in your bootable installer and start up holding the Option key until you see you USB drive and select that. When the iMac starts up you should see the Installer dialogue if not select instal fresh copy of OSX. At this point the installer should begin its task of installing a fresh copy of El Capitan.
Do not try to restore any data from you backup during the installation process. We want a "clean" install here. this will involve re entering information about email, WiFi, your Apple ID, iCloud Services etc etc. Hopefully at the end of this process you will have a clean HD with only the OS on board.
My suggestion is that something in your saved data on CCC may be the issue.
Surprisingly it is not difficult to start again from scratch. Emails are on the server, Contacts on iCloud or Google or another iDevice, third party apps and documents will be on the CCC drive and can be dragged back.
In my case I found it was the restore that consistently caused the problem each time I tried to install. It took me 6 tries to find that out and I never identified the specific problem.

Reaction score
Don't know if this is relevant but I have discovered my macbook will not boot if my Logitech Unified receiver for my wireless mouse is plugged in.
I tried everything before I discovered this. Only happened after I installed El Capitan.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks guys. My Mac will not boot with Command + R , but I can boot using another means to get Disk Utility to erase the HD. Going to go for the clean install. I'll report back....... hopefully. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Don't know if this is relevant but I have discovered my macbook will not boot if my Logitech Unified receiver for my wireless mouse is plugged in.
I tried everything before I discovered this. Only happened after I installed El Capitan.

Wow, thanks for that heads-up Craig.

I would not have expected that if and when I might get around to installing El Capitan even though I'm aware or usually using a wired USB mouse with a new OS install.

PS: What was your fix or did you even get one?

Thanks,
Patrick
=====

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ALL FIXED!! Erased the HD, reinstalled El Capitan, restored all my 'stuff' from my CCC by drag and drop. Only thing that didn't work perfectly is my Gmail. I had a bunch of Mail Boxes and even though I got all my emails, it didn't create the Mail Boxes and put the emails where they belonged. Strangely, I did get one of them back. Now I just need to get a fresh clone done in CCC.

Thanks to all for your expert help, advice, and encouragement. You guys are right, not too much to doing a clean install and getting all your stuff back.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I do still have one issue. Time Machine will not go back prior to this newest load. The slider on the right shows all the dates, it just won't go to any of them. Still need to do the latest update to El Capitan, so maybe that will fix this problem. If not,,,, not a big deal.

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for that heads-up Craig.

I would not have expected that if and when I might get around to installing El Capitan even though I'm aware or usually using a wired USB mouse with a new OS install.

PS: What was your fix or did you even get one?

Thanks,
Patrick
=====

Got a new mouse. I needed a multi-button one anyway. Don't know if that fixed it yet, I'm on vacation and the wi-fi at this motel really sucks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm on vacation and the wi-fi at this motel really sucks.

Use your iPhone to create a hot spot for your computer. That's usually faster than the overloaded WiFi at most motels/hotels.

Reaction score
IF I had an iPhone......
But lets not go there.

Edit: We're back anyway. Car problems. Brakes.

M

MacInWin

Well, I do still have one issue. Time Machine will not go back prior to this newest load. The slider on the right shows all the dates, it just won't go to any of them. Still need to do the latest update to El Capitan, so maybe that will fix this problem. If not,,,, not a big deal.
What I have observed is that it takes TM a while to populate the older dates with the data from that backup. I think it's because of the way TM does incremental backups, but I'm not certain. What I do know is that if I invoke TM and just let it sit for a while, the older dates eventually get populated properly.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What I have observed is that it takes TM a while to populate the older dates with the data from that backup. I think it's because of the way TM does incremental backups, but I'm not certain. What I do know is that if I invoke TM and just let it sit for a while, the older dates eventually get populated properly.

Late last night I checked and it still wouldn't populate the older dates. Gave up on it so I ran Disk Utility on it, reformatted it, and started TM all over again. Since the CCC restored all my stuff with Migation Assistant, losing those old dates is a non-issue to me. I'm beginning to lose faith in TM and am just glad I've got CCC. I'm also a true believer in creating a bootable thumb drive with loader for new operating systems.

Thanks again for all the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Good work Dave. Cloning is the go for me and also the thumb drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

… … …
I'm beginning to lose faith in TM and am just glad I've got CCC. I'm also a true believer in creating a bootable thumb drive with loader for new operating systems.

Welcome to the fold and I lost faith in TM years ago and CCC has been solid and reliable without question.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
After all the trouble you have gone to and assuming you have everything you need on CCC I would be inclined to erase and reformat your Time Machine backup and start afresh. The fact that you can't go back beyond a certain date may also be an indicator of something wrong.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late last night I checked and it still wouldn't populate the older dates. Gave up on it so I ran Disk Utility on it, reformatted it, and started TM all over again. Since the CCC restored all my stuff with Migation Assistant, losing those old dates is a non-issue to me. I'm beginning to lose faith in TM and am just glad I've got CCC. I'm also a true believer in creating a bootable thumb drive with loader for new operating systems.

After all the trouble you have gone to and assuming you have everything you need on CCC I would be inclined to erase and reformat your Time Machine backup and start afresh. The fact that you can't go back beyond a certain date may also be an indicator of something wrong.

Thanks, Rod, but I already did just that.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, my system is still screwed up. As I said above, everything was working fine. Machine could shutdown and start up just fine. I did a fresh backup on CCC and on TM and then decided to do the latest update to El Capitan. During that update, the machine would not do what I think is the final boot to complete the upgrade. The progress bar was frozen at about the 60-70% point. Left it there for over an hour, just in case. Finally shut it down with the power. Powered back up and machine wouldn't boot.

Back to square one.

Tried to start the machine with CCC that was supposed to be a bootable drive, but that wouldn't work.

Reloaded El Capitan with the bootable thumb drive loader and reinstalled El Capitan.

All programs and other data intact. Tried a shutdown and start and the progress bar didn't budge. Disk wouldn't start.

Restarted the machine with Com + R.

Since I didn't see a way to start CCC, I'm now restoring with the TM backup I had just made. That's going to take a couple hours.

Am I correct in my thinking that I can not Clone the internal drive from CCC if the computer booted from the internal drive? For instance, could I have reloaded the Op Sys with the thumb drive, then just use CCC to clone to the hard drive?

Also, do you guys think my HD may be dying? Everything worked fine while on Yosemite, and once booted up on El Capitan, everything had worked until you do a Sys update.

For now, when I get my system back to where it was before I tried that update, I'm done with System Updates until the next Op System comes out.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After a lot of research I found this discussion. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7261310?start=90&tstart=0

The problem I'm having seems to be widespread. I pasted the following command in Terminal and I have successfully rebooted 3 times. Won't be doing any updates for awhile, though.

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/EltimaAsync.kext

Maybe this will help some other people out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After a lot of research I found this discussion. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7261310?start=90&tstart=0

The problem I'm having seems to be widespread. I pasted the following command in Terminal and I have successfully rebooted 3 times. Won't be doing any updates for awhile, though.

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/EltimaAsync.kext

Maybe this will help some other people out.

Thanks for the info and I hope I and some others don't need such a fix if and when we get to doing such an upgrade.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.