• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Which Movie you are going to see on this weekend?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Excellent examples. I'd forgotten some of them.

I think one of the first Katharine Hepburn movies that I remember seeing years ago was Rooster Coburn which she did with John Wayne. A few years ago I saw several of her earlier movies courtesy of TCM. That Wayne/Hepburn pairing is still one of my favorites but I find that there are several of her earlier movies that I like better.

C

chas_m

The rationale given for not going to the cinema doesn't wash with me. Using that logic, we'd never see anyone going to restaurants, since you can certainly get a meal cheaper at home!

Some movies, I will certainly freely admit, are empty-calorie visual FX fests intended for the knuckle-dragger crowd. But there have been *plenty* of movies that are not aimed at, nor have, the 120db bone-rattling fans. The Steve Jobs movie is an example, Bridge of Spies is another. There's usually one or two like that at any given time.

If you think you're too old for the multiplex, I can appreciate that ... but there are "art house" cinemas in most sizable towns, and some "revival" type cinemas or the local megaplex will show classics from time to time (quite often actually) along with live events of theatre or opera ... get a loyalty card for your favourite chain and save some serious money by supporting those types of events, or stick to the high-quality offerings of the art-house cinemas.

Movies are genuinely different with a large group, particularly comedies and tearjerkers. A premium projection and sound experience really makes high-quality films special, even if they're not aimed at blasting you out of your seat. A film like (just a quick example) The King's Speech would have been a boring experience at home, but was riveting in a cinema where you can really focus on what's going on (increasingly difficult to do at home). I encourage you guys to reconsider the occasional cinema experience with a well-chosen film aimed at your age group or interests.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I think one of the first Katharine Hepburn movies that I remember seeing years ago was Rooster Coburn which she did with John Wayne. A few years ago I saw several of her earlier movies courtesy of TCM. That Wayne/Hepburn pairing is still one of my favorites but I find that there are several of her earlier movies that I like better.

Because of my interest in older movies and actors…sometimes I research some actors to learn more about them. What I find interesting about some actors is…not only are they good actors…but also do their own action scenes & athletic scenes. When it comes to this select group…of the small number of actors that qualify...I would guess that fewer women then men fall into this category.

Since Katherine Hepburn was brought up…I'll share a tidbit about her. Not only was she a great actress…but also very independent & athletic. In the movie "Pat & Mike" with Spencer Tracy…she plays a very successful sportswoman (athletics). Primarily golf & tennis in the movie (she was actually a very good golfer in real life).

There's a scene in the movie where Katherine's in an argument with an older woman who thinks she knows everything about golf…and is forcibly trying to give Katherine pointers on how to improve her golf swing. Katherine gets upset…and proceeds one after the other…to whack a number of golf balls teed up on the ground at a driving range long & straight. Then walks away.

Maybe it took more than one "take" to get this scene right (maybe not). But pretty impressive to know that Katherine actually hit the balls & not some golf pro.:) Here's the scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsF6blrbUHU

- Nick

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Thanks for the clip, Nick. That took me back. Yes, I remember the film - although not necessarily when it was first released!;)

Ian

Reaction score
I'm going to see the Steve Jobs movie. I've heard great things from friends and movie critics.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
So, I hadn't bought any new toys in what for me is a loooooong while. Haven't been doing much of anything except long hours of work, which has been either busier than I've ever seen it or I'm just getting too old to keep up the pace. Probably the latter. Anyway, spent a few months drooling over and kicking myself in the butt for even considering spending that kind of money looking at a line of TVs released this year that finally seemed to outshine my Panny plasma. Well, with a 15 day return policy, I convinced myself to pull the trigger on the new LG OLED 65" curved screen (it's not really that curved) as I'd been wanting 3D at home for years and not willing to give them another grand for a flat screen with an integrated sound bar that would never be turned up above zero. I looked at the new Sony 940D 75" also, but it just didn't seem to measure up. Now splurging on 3D movies. First up was Zootopia 3D - pretty good.

This weekend hoping to have time to watch the Cinerama version of How the West Was Won on the curved screen and pull my chair up to about 5' after adjusting the speakers for that sitting position. May even try the 2d to 3d conversion process with it.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Sounds like you're in for some viewing fun. Let us know what you think of the new set. I'm trying to convince the wife that we need a new one though a 65" is probably a bit too big for our space.

Edit: Nice to see you back BTW

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A1286 MBP5,3 running 10.9.5, iphone6, Mac mini1,1 A1176 120/2gb
We just saw finding Dory and The Secret Lives of Pets with the kids. While finding Dory was good, The Secret Lives of Pets was hecka funny.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
@bobtomay Congrats on the LG. I've been collecting 3D movies for a while now. Top Gun, Avatar, San Andreas and Gravity are all well worth having. The passive 3D system works well in my experience, with no crosstalk once you have your screen height sorted out. I have the 55UB8500, which I couldn't resist when I found it for less than half price.

Reaction score
last weekend watching The Secret Life of Patsy. very cute and funny. at the end of this week I go to Suicide Squad :Evil:

Reaction score
By the way, someone already went to the cinema on the "Suicide Squad"? how was it? worth watching? :Cool:

Reaction score
then tell us your impressions about this film! ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.