After El Capitan update, bookmark folders missing from Safari

PJS

Reaction score
I switched from Mountain Lion to El Capitan about 2 weeks ago. I got an El Capitan update this morning and now I can't see my bookmarks folders. I can see websites that I have simply bookmarked recently but not put into folders, but the folders containing most of my bookmarks are not visible.

When I search for a bookmark that I know exists but whose folder I can no longer see, I can find it, so the bookmarks are not completely gone. But I can no longer see my folders since the update this morning. When I go into Safari Preferences and change the choice in the dropdown menu that says "Favorites shows," I can choose one of my bookmark folders to be displayed, but it won't show all of them. Even worse, I have no idea how to get the bookmark folders back into the dropdown menu at the right of the Safari window (when you click the >>), where they used to be.

I have heard that El Capitan is buggy, and it certainly seems to be. Please help!

I have a iMac running ElCapitan 10.1..1 and Safari 9.0.1.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.