Viewing movies in .avi format?

Reaction score
I am trying to view a .avi movie and it says that I need to download some 3rd party quicktime components which components do i need exactly? Also if i were to use Flip4Mac to view it would I be able to?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14in
tk26 said:
I am trying to view a .avi movie and it says that I need to download some 3rd party quicktime components which components do i need exactly? Also if i were to use Flip4Mac to view it would I be able to?

not sure about flip4mac; i downloaded vlc video player off of versiontracker last night to view an .avi file. it worked perfectly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
use VLC, it will play ANYTHING, even .VOB files.

Reaction score
You'll need some codecs. Try 3ivx and Xvid.

Drop the components into your application support > Quicktime folder.

OP
T
Reaction score
ok thx well i will try VLC video player. Another question my mac 30-day trial of Office 2004 just expired and I was wondering if there was a program like excel that comes with the mac. Thx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel 20" Mac
VLC player played my .avi files without installing any codecs...

OP
T
Reaction score
ya same VLC played my .avi movie but I think yogi was saying that I would need to install the codes if i want to play .avi in quicktime

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5,2Ghz,200GB.Mac Book Pro,1.83 Ghz,80GB,512MB.30GB video iPod
tk26 said:
ya same VLC played my .avi movie but I think yogi was saying that I would need to install the codes if i want to play .avi in quicktime

what's the best place to download VLC player?Can you give me a link?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 - iPod Touch - iPod Video (30GB) - iPod Shuffle 2nd Gen - Airport Extreme&Express
Hey u wanted to know a excel thing for the mac > openoffice < it has....word.....excel[spreadsheet].....powerpoint and its free!!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.