Problem connecting with WinXP

M

morfasie

Hi all,

I have a new mac mini and a Windows Xp box. I can connect to the XP box without any problems through the normal network and the remote desktop client. But if I want to connect to the mac from the Windows side it asks me for an username and password. I put in my username and password but it keeps on asking me for a username and password.

I have looked at the tutorials on the web and some of them state you have to select a setting in your accounts tab for the user. the setting is " allow user to connect from windows", I have looked for that setting but can't seem to find it. I have the latest Max OS X Tiger, I would presume.

Could somebody please help me!

dearly appreciated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
try windowspcname\username and password

OP
M

morfasie

hi I still can't seem to connect to the Mac machine from my XP machine, I have setup the Windows Sharing in my Mac mini but it just keeps on asking for a username and password.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The only time I have had problems connecting from a Windows XP/2k machine to a Mac was a wrong username. Open System Preferences and Sharing. Click on Windows Sharing and at the bottom of the window it should tell you the name you need to put in to log in from a Windows system. Depending on your username on your Mac you may need to put an underscore between words or all one word lower case. Usually what is says when you click on windows sharing in sharing is what you need to enter. Also be sure you are entering the password you gave your account in OSX. I have a rather large network here with XP, 2k, and OSX systems and I can log in both ways between them all. It's the username format that always caused it not to work for me.

Hope that helps. If not please let us know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.