How safe is Magsafe?

N

nitropaintball

We all know that Magsafe is a great idea, in concept that is. Some of us choose to believe that it is an all around great idea. The thought that if someone or school happens to trip over your power cord, rest assured, Magsafe will save your Macbook Pro, from taking the dreaded plunge to the floor. I on the other hand am so easily convinced. The other day, after calling apple, and complaining about a malfunctioning power supply. I was using my computer, and the charger was plugged into my Macbook Pro. I was working along, all fine and well, then I noticed something funny smelling, kinda like burning plastic. As I took notice, I looked around my room, and at my computer, everything seemed to be okay. I went back to listening to music in iTunes, and surfing the web. A few seconds later, a few sparks emitting from my Magsafe, and just narrowly catches my eye. Then before I can react, there is a copious amount of sparks, and the plastic sheath and cable surrounding it, is melting away quite quickly. I proceed to remove the Magsafe from my Macbook Pro (Being my first concern), then I remove the power supply from the wall (for fear of having my property ruined from fire).

Here is some images, for your viewing.

http://www.nitropaintball.com/mag_1.jpg
http://www.nitropaintball.com/mag_2.jpg
http://www.nitropaintball.com/mag_3.jpg
http://www.nitropaintball.com/mag_4.jpg
http://www.nitropaintball.com/mag_5.jpg

You tell me.
What is more important, the fact that you run your cord in a way, that nobody will trip over it? Or have your power supply randomly malfunction, causing damage to the plug, notebook and personal property? I mean, after all, my bed could have caught fire, and my house could have burned down if I had not been around to disconnect the plug from its electrical source, and the computer.

Thanks,
Justin Carman

Reaction score
Have they replaced the whole system for you and have they offered you any gift?

Seems to be a lot of these magsafe issues coming up.

It's putting me off buying a mac!

I'd rather Apple kept the old Power Supply and risk getting it pull onto the floor than my house burning down! You could loose things that cant be replaced ( pictures, pets, FAMILY etc..)

OP
M

Meddie600rr

I wonder if this keeps happening if they'll do some kind of a recall. Although it is a huge deal, the fire and all, its only happened to a handful of people(thus far), so we'll see what happens.

Reaction score
Anything related with fire really should be recalled straight away!

Apple need to do something about this before someone gets seriously hurt.

OP
K

Kokopelli

From a representative sample standpoint three known cases is actually sort of high. Chances are there are other cases that have not been posted here or on the other forums as well. Over a period of a year or two 3 cases is no big deal, but within 60 days of the release of the product?

OP
N

nitropaintball

Ive been hearing that the ship unmbers are about 25,000 from apple, I still believe that that many in such a short amount of time is ludacris, considering its a POWERSUPPLY...very dangerous to screw up with. I understand if a machine fails 3/25,00 times...theres ALOT of points of failure...but i mean a power supply? ***? Somethign eneds to be done!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
Update on MageSafe burning. Looks like it may be a problem.

So far on my wifes Macbook we have had no issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
alucard said:
Update on MageSafe burning. Looks like it may be a problem.

So far on my wifes Macbook we have had no issues.

Yeah I've heard of two or three more reports of this now. Note to self: avoid first revision hardware! I know that there have been "revisions" to the original lines but no major updates yet...I think I'll wait until the kinks are worked out of this release before jumping on a portable from Apple :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
LOL! Why is that the best picture ever? He looks so sad... :eek:neye:

magsafemelt.jpg

Reaction score
yep had the same problem as in the pic, i sent it off to be replaced and they gave me a replacement one but the haven't told me if its covered under

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" c2d mbp 2gb ram 120gb hdd
i keep my mbp plugged in 95% of the time at home, but its always sleeping...should i be concerned?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i'm of the belief that most of these cases are most likely caused by debris of some sort. it seems to be a very delicate and open interface, unlike some of the "dumb" power connections a lot of electonics use with two large contacts.

i always check the connections on mine when plugging it in, and i tend to keep the magsafe up off the floor as much as possible.

Reaction score
well i leave mine on most of the time when i'm asleep. i don't think ur at a risk as long as its on a desk don't leave it on ur bed or something cos i'm sure u have felt the heat of it there is an app u can get to control ur fan if u want to cool it down quickly its called smcFanControl it allows u to turn up the fan i might use if for a min or 2 if its hot and the set it to default after. back to the cable mine kind of warped first and it melted but not all at once i continued to use it keeping a closer eye on it cos the company i was getting a repacement from took there time in getting one. when it melts back there is one layer inside that doesn't melt and inbetween that layer and the outter layer there is what i think is a copper coil and it won't work when that has melted but i got the wire that is used in speakers and wrapped it around it to keep it going. almost forgot to take it off when i was handing it in to get it covered under guarantie. i wouldn't worry about it u'll smell it if it burns

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
Mine just got frayed a day or so ago, so I am taking the AC adaptor back to Apple. I didn't do anything extraordinary to it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.