looking for a terminal emulator and command shell in Mac OSX

C

CandiMarie

Hi.

I have been looking everywhere to find a terminal emulator and command shell on my Mac. I run OS X 10.3. I know that Mac does keep everything hidden, so I might not be able to find what I am looking for. It is for my class, special assignment because I run a mac while everyone else in my class runs a PC. Nice huh.

So seeing as how OS X is based on Unix, or so Ive read on random sites which I have found while searching for a terminal emulator and command shell.

From what I understand, a terminal emulator and command shell is that command prompt on Windows which is MS Dos. Or I could be completly wrong. I dont know anything about Windows.

I would really appriciate it if some one could point me to the right direction for what I am looking for. I am going to try and get to the mall and ask teh genis at the apple store, after the holidays.

Thank you, and if I made no sense and you can help me out, I understand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Well I think i am understanding what you are wanting.. If so.. go to

Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal

Then double click on Terminal.. there you'll see the unix backbone.. or as we like to call it.. Darwin :)

OP
C

CandiMarie

Thank you so much. It worked. lOl all the searching I did and there it was under my nose. Thanks again.

CandiMaie

OP
J

jerodhusvar

CandiMarie said:
Thank you so much. It worked. lOl all the searching I did and there it was under my nose. Thanks again.

CandiMaie
Don't feel bad, it took me 3 days to find it. I was too embarassed to ask anyone for help. :)

Jerod :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Whoops! doh! I didn't realize I was grinning.. it must have been subconscience :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
N

nomad

How can I start a terminal in mac os 9.2 french version ? :))

thanx for the answer

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.