Flagging emails

Reaction score
Mail 8.2 - Yosemite. IMAP account. I "flag" emails for future action, by hitting the red flag icon on the toolbar. These go in to the Flagged folder and also retain the red flag in the Inbox. The count of the flagged folder on iMac / Mail is always quite higher than the Flagged folder on my iPhone and iPad. Presently, Flagged folder on Mail / iMac has 78. IOS only 57. Why is this? I know it's not because they are organized by conversation because some of the flagged emails are not even showing on IOS.

M

MacInWin

Ah, I thought your question was why the count was different. Are you asking why the 21 didn't appear? That's a different question. It could be it all depends on how the iPhone is set up to receive emails, Push or Fetch. Fetch is less power/bandwidth consuming, but the speed of update is generally slower. Push is faster, but takes bandwidth/power. So if you are set for Fetch, it could be a bit of time for the emails to arrive, spending on how often you set the Fetch cycle. Settings/Mail, Contacts, Calendar/Fetch New Data is where you can see what's your setting.

OP
B
Reaction score
Ah, I thought your question was why the count was different. Are you asking why the 21 didn't appear? That's a different question. It could be it all depends on how the iPhone is set up to receive emails, Push or Fetch. Fetch is less power/bandwidth consuming, but the speed of update is generally slower. Push is faster, but takes bandwidth/power. So if you are set for Fetch, it could be a bit of time for the emails to arrive, spending on how often you set the Fetch cycle. Settings/Mail, Contacts, Calendar/Fetch New Data is where you can see what's your setting.

Great information. So my iPhone settings were > Push (on) > my IMAP account Fetch > then Manual. But I did some reading on the Internet, and from my understanding, the Push and Fetch settings only effect the way the iPhone communicates with the Server and how often. I would think, regardless of the settings, if I have 78 Flagged emails on Mail / iMac, they would eventually show up on the iPhone. I just noticed that my Flagged folder on iMac has some emails that are still red flagged but no longer in the Inbox. I moved them to other folders. So does the Flagged folder only "push" emails that are in the Inbox only?

I have had the issue of having less on the iPhone and iPad for as long as I can remember. Could it be a quirk with my ISP, Network Solutions? When I go in to my Webmail I do not see the Flagged folder there.

M

MacInWin

The Flagged folder is an artifact on your Mac only. So if you copy an email to that folder, it gets double counted on the Mac (one in inbox, the other in the folder). But on the iPhone there are no folders, so the flagged email only appears once, in the inbox. Have a read of this thread. Particularly post #2 from chscag. Part of the difference may be that you have IMAP on one and POP on the other. With POP, if a message is marked read on ANY device, it's marked read at the server and doesn't come down into your inbox on any other device. Also, you need to check to see if you are using IMAP, how long the mail provider is willing to store messages on the IMAP server. Most have a time limit, so that after that time it's deleted from the server and then on the next sync, from your inbox. It won't be deleted from the Flagged folder, if you've copied or moved it there, just the inbox. But since the Flagged folder isn't on the iPhone, when it gets deleted from the server, it disappears from the iPhone inbox.

OP
B
Reaction score
The Flagged folder is an artifact on your Mac only. So if you copy an email to that folder, it gets double counted on the Mac (one in inbox, the other in the folder). But on the iPhone there are no folders, so the flagged email only appears once, in the inbox. Have a read of this thread. Particularly post #2 from chscag. Part of the difference may be that you have IMAP on one and POP on the other. With POP, if a message is marked read on ANY device, it's marked read at the server and doesn't come down into your inbox on any other device. Also, you need to check to see if you are using IMAP, how long the mail provider is willing to store messages on the IMAP server. Most have a time limit, so that after that time it's deleted from the server and then on the next sync, from your inbox. It won't be deleted from the Flagged folder, if you've copied or moved it there, just the inbox. But since the Flagged folder isn't on the iPhone, when it gets deleted from the server, it disappears from the iPhone inbox.

I use IMAP on all devices. There is a Flagged folder on the iPhone. It resides at the top of the list when I click on "< Mailboxes" when on the Inbox screen. The Flagged folder is on the top with VIP. Then all the other mailboxes are listed below. The storage time limit, on the Server, may be an issue as I sometimes leave emails flagged for months. I need to research the dates of flagged emails more and see if this creates a difference in counts.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.