Run dual external displays on non-retina MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 4,1 --> 5,1 6 Core X5680
Has anyone done this? I want to buy the adaptor that I will put a link to at the end of this which is a USB 3.0 graphics card. I am currently using one of my monitors as an external display but I usually use 2 when connected to my gaming pc. I like using the macbook as a desktop but having only one display really does cut productivity in half. I want to know if anyone has tried this and if it works. I want to have one of the monitors through the thunderbolt and the other through this. Will this work? Thanks in advance. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005G306I2/?tag=macforums0e4-20

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I used a similar device a few years ago and it worked reasonably well. There were a fe w programs that didn't work but that was far and away the exception than the norm. I stopped using the device I was using because an OS update broke the driver and that manufacturer had not updated the driver so be sure to check on that before making a purchase.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok thanks. Ill look it up.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I ordered that one last night and got it in today and come to find it doesn't work on mac os. The USB 3.0 one apparently does but not eh USB 3.0 with a USB 3.0 passthrough. Which is the one I got. So ill be returning this one and getting the one that supposedly works with mac os. Hopefully if someone else sees this they know that this particular one will not work.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You might want to take a look at these as a possibility. The gang at OWC is pretty knowledgeable and can probably give you some assistance with this question.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You might want to take a look at these as a possibility. The gang at OWC is pretty knowledgeable and can probably give you some assistance with this question.

A very interesting "hardware nugget" found in the bowels of OWC!:)

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They used to sell a similar device from another manufacturer a while back.That's show I first heard about these things. The one I had worked really well though at one point I had an issue finding drivers after one of the OS updates. Not using that device anymore since I passed it on to my nephew.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.