installing MySql

J

jeffersno1

OK,

im at the end of my patience, if i cant install mysql on my mac then ive no hope hosting websites...

what i want to find is a simple install guide to mysql, none of this crap that says download unpack and install, because it doesnt tell you anything, when i dowload the files i cant find them again to run the install.

This is one thing that really gets me with mac's, its meant to be so friggin easy but on the other hand SO CHUFFIN hard.

WHY CANT THEIR BE A SIMPLE SOLUTION - does no one take the time to explain to us idiots that we need every step going through if were new to mac's. Yes i have the books and ive searched the web and none of it helps.

I'm 10 minutes from throwing my mac out of the window and going back to Windows, at least its simple on windows even if its unstable, at the moment ive become more unstable with F*****G macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
This may be of some use to you,...MAMP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Amazing. Your blaming OS X for YOUR ignorance of how to install a sophisticated service. This type of software is not for timid who can't or won't learn some of the lower level things required. And do their homework.

This is not a Mac issue. It is an issue of the MySQL installation procedures on all of the platforms it runs on. My favorite is when it refers to the "post-installation::" section of the install directions. They are not ****ing there in the OS X ReadMe.txt file! They can also be difficult to find in the common Unix install. But if you have the books, you'll find the same information there too.

Installation is only the first part of some serious work needed to actually setup and use a database. I read the ReadMe.txt file and from what I remember, it looks like it tells you everything you need to know, except the password change secret.

Anyway, if you want a friendly to install database server, look at something like Filemaker or OpenBase. Oh, they cost money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
its true.. ive worked with mysql before and its not easy.

OP
J

jeffersno1

xstep said:
Amazing. Your blaming OS X for YOUR ignorance of how to install a sophisticated service. This type of software is not for timid who can't or won't learn some of the lower level things required. And do their homework.

MY ignorance huh, oh i've done my homework, ive got a degree in IT and ive spent the last couple of years learning the mac, but it doesnt make it any easier, it always seems to me that theres a hundred different ways to do 1 thing, Unless your very technically minded then your gonna find it hard and frustrating.

Thankyou MacWork ill be looking into that

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
jeffersno1 said:
MY ignorance huh, oh i've done my homework, ive got a degree in IT and ive spent the last couple of years learning the mac, but it doesnt make it any easier, it always seems to me that theres a hundred different ways to do 1 thing, Unless your very technically minded then your gonna find it hard and frustrating.

Thankyou MacWork ill be looking into that
Bitting tongue...

jeffersno1, you make it difficult to give you a constructive answer when you willy-nilly throw blame to the OS. You make it more difficult when you open yourself up to further criticism. My previous message was not meant as an insult. I can only hope you DO NOT take the following as an insult...

You strike me as not a highly technical person who needs a little extra help. There is nothing wrong with that. Do a bit more research to look into tools such as MacWork mentioned and things like MySQL Administrator which gives you a simpler interface to MySql. We all have limits and should look for opportunities to help fill those gaps.

Good luck with this new adventure. :ninja:

OP
N

npoussin

I'm not an IT grad, and I don't have much knowledge other than what I've picked up over time, but I've coded a few websites with MySql over the years and I really like it as a back-end to a dynamically-generated PHP-powered site.

With the knowledge I already had about MySql, I found it actually very easy to install on the Mac (I have a brand spanking new iMac that I'm very proud of). I've installed MySql on Windows and Linux before, and I found this easier - it was up and running in very little time, with only a little messing around looking for the mysql client which got installed in some confusing directory. The .dmg file basically did all the grunt work for me. (No makefile, no compile, no recompiling because you got the options wrong, and so on).

After that, you need to know how to secure the server, set up user accounts, change passwords and create and manage databases, but that's nothing to do with a Mac, since it's idential on all platforms.

There's always a glitch somewhere - mine was finding the client program, but frankly, I've had far worse glitches on every other platform than I have on the mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Well, I've had a look in the installer, and it says to run the installer that puts the software in /usr/local/mysql-VERSION. It then has a list of commands to enter (as root, so use `sudo su`) that configure the database. It worked first time.

What stage did you get to before you found a problem? Has the software been installed in /usr/local yet (i.e. is the problem during installation or configuration?)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.