question about apparent failed external Hard Drive

Reaction score
so i have a 13" Macbook Pro running 10.7.5..i like the way it works with my stuff… i have a La Cie external Hard Drive…over the weekend i was getting messages it needed repair and then Disk Utility, on its own, tried to repair it. I did nothing. So it said you can recover but you cannot record. Now today, it is acting normal. I consider this a shot across the bow and am getting another External Hard drive. So i will hook both of them up by USB to my Mac and drag and drop the worrisome one into the new one. Is that the way to go or is there a better way?
Thanks in Advance :)

btw…any recommendations for an
External Hard Drive would be most appreciated :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
so i have a 13" Macbook Pro running 10.7.5..i like the way it works with my stuff… i have a La Cie external Hard Drive…over the weekend i was getting messages it needed repair and then Disk Utility, on its own, tried to repair it. I did nothing. So it said you can recover but you cannot record. Now today, it is acting normal. I consider this a shot across the bow and am getting another External Hard drive. So i will hook both of them up by USB to my Mac and drag and drop the worrisome one into the new one. Is that the way to go or is there a better way?
Thanks in Advance :)

btw…any recommendations for an
External Hard Drive would be most appreciated :)

Hello Dee gee - please remove your email address from the post as I did above, unless you want 'spam bots' harvesting that address! :Cool:

As to 'how' to transfer your information from the old to the new HD, please tell us what is on the La Cie drive, i.e. Time Machine (TM) backups, Cloned backups, and/or files (like music, docs, photos, etc.) that you've simply dragged over to the external device - might make a difference regarding a recommendation.

I own a bunch of external HDs doing TM & CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner) backups of my iMac & MBPro - the brands that I own are Seagate, Western Digital, and OWC HDs; 1 TB HDs are cheap (under $100) for the usual brands, while the OWC (3-year warranty) are more expensive. The Seagate HDs have a higher failure rate vs. the WD ones (see bar graph below). Also, another consideration is whether you want just bus-powered drives (mine are USB 3 & one Thunderbolt running off bus power) or ones w/ their own power supply - there has been some discussion in the forum on this topic, so others may 'chime in' w/ alternate suggestions. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2015-02-02 at 10.31.37 PM.png

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank You So Much…what did i do and how do i correct what you said about emil address, please..and thanks again :)

C

chas_m

Yes, the HGSTs seem to be the best brand going for the time being (this title shifts around as technology changes). You may also want to consider if it is time to go to SSD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
so..you would recommend HGST?

HGST is a Hitachi company that was bought by Western Digital in 2012 (Source - click the link for more information, if interested). I guess that the bottom line is that the Seagate HDs seem to be the least reliable of those shown; the OWC drives (own 2 as mentioned previously) are made by Hitachi, as I recall (not at home @ the moment to check but go to the link in my first post).

As to your email address, simply edit the post and delete the address. Dave :)

OP
D
Reaction score
thanks...

HGST is a Hitachi company that was bought by Western Digital in 2012 (Source - click the link for more information, if interested). I guess that the bottom line is that the Seagate HDs seem to be the least reliable of those shown; the OWC drives (own 2 as mentioned previously) are made by Hitachi, as I recall (not at home @ the moment to check but go to the link in my first post).

As to your email address, simply edit the post and delete the address. Dave :)

...i have my Time Machine backups, but mainly music, videos and photos on the La Cie...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.