iMac Screen not waking from sleep since 10.11

Reaction score
Anyone had issues waking from sleep since 10.11?

Mine was fine pre-final release (I used the El Capitan betas), however now when I wake from sleep nothing appears on screen. My power meter shows that the Mac has woken up, but I have to hard power off and power on to see anything. Tried SMC/NVRAM reset, which made no difference. Nothing is plugged into the iMac.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need to provide the forum with some specs for your iMac. Model and year? And have you run a verify on the hard drive from your recovery partition?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Did you uninstall the beta version/sprior to downloading the general release? Updated yet to OS X.11.1?

OP
H
Reaction score
You need to provide the forum with some specs for your iMac. Model and year? And have you run a verify on the hard drive from your recovery partition?

It's an iMac 27" from Late 2009, 2.6GHz i5, 12GB memory and ATI HD 4850.

I clean installed El Capitan GM and updated to 10.11.1/2, tried sleep at each version- no luck.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I know that in most cases the GM (golden master) release is supposed to represent the final release version. But since the installer was called "GM" (and maybe is or isn't exactly 100% the same as what average folks are downloading). Maybe it would be best to actually download the "official" El Capitan installer from the App Store…and see if that helps.

I don't think that this sleep issue is widespread. And I also don't think many folks are running on "GM" installed version of El Capitan. Maybe there is a small difference (all bugs are not necessarily fixed in the GM release).

- Nick

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks Nick.

I tell a lie, last time I performed a clean installation of OS X the image was from the App Store, and wasn't the GM release!

Updated to beta 4, no change. Certainly doesn't seem wide spread, I've only seen a few mentions (2-3) but no fix.

OP
H
Reaction score
May have fixed this... I think one of the 4GB modules is faulty. After trying pmset hibernatemode = 25, it pointed me towards testing the memory.

hibernatemode = 25 (binary 0001 1001) is only settable via pmset. The system will store a copy of mem-ory memory
ory to persistent storage (the disk), and will remove power to memory. The system will restore from
disk image.

Tried just the 2x4GB modules, 3 beeps (did not pass data integrity check). Put the 2x2GB modules in, iMac booted fine and is now waking from boot without an issue!

Hooray!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.