Upgrading to OS X

A

Alvin Meister

We're a small company with three Macs networked (two G4s and an old IMac) and all using OS 9.2.2.

One of our monitors has packed in, so instead of paying £600 for a decent new one, we're getting a 20" IMac, so we're going to bin the old IMac and have the two G4s and new Intel IMac.
That also means we can all get on OS X at last, so we're basically starting from scratch.

So the first question is, are there any problems networking x86 Tiger, PPC Jaguar and whatever PPC version of OS X on the other G4?

I've also got some questions about the x86 OS X - does Rosetta just work in the background, so that you're unaware of it? Will it just run CS, Quark 6.5, Suitcase etc. straight off with no messing?

I'll probably think of more questions, but thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
You can get full Versions of OSX 10.3 Panther or version 10.4 Tiger would run very well. I have Panther on my G4 Mac Mini, Love it. Nice and Quick, Tiger has more options and ad-ons. www.apple.com/osx should show you all the differences in the versions. OSX is great for networking easy and simple. All of its basic plug and play. OSX has a Server Version too

OP
A

Alvin Meister

Thanks for that.

Are there problems linking the PP and x86 versions of OS X together? We'll be delving into each others' machines and retrieving files from one another.

Another thing is that we've been using Outlook Express for emails - how easy is it to tranfer all our old emails to Mail? Is this possible with Entourage?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.