?: iCloud Drive vs. iCloud Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 MacBook (m5), 2013 macbook pro retina 15", 2009 MBP non retina 13", 2014 21" iMac
Hello everyone,

As I continue to try to learn about Mac OS X I appreciate all of the input you folks have given me! :)

I have looked at numerous links, threads etc. with regard to iCloud and iCloud Drive and I can't really wrap my hands around what the actual relationship is between the two.

I believe while iCloud is for storage for downloading on iOS and Mac devices that iCloud Drive is more of a file sharing service in which you can continue working on a device(s) where your original work was done on a different device.

The thing I don't understand is is iCloud Drive "part" of iCloud or are they 2 separate pieces? If you have iCloud but not iCloud Drive can you share but not "continue" working on another device? Is iCloud Drive a replacement for iCloud with newer operating system requirements?

If you have iCloud and iCloud Drive, how do they interact together?

Sorry to be confused by this but if you can help me understand I would appreciate it very much!

Best to you and thanks so much,

rick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
iCloud Drive is basically one part of iCloud which allows you to manage files for use in other applications (like the iWork suite or Office on iOS). In this sense, they aren't separate - iCloud Drive is simply one part in a much more complex "machine."

OP
greyhound rick
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 MacBook (m5), 2013 macbook pro retina 15", 2009 MBP non retina 13", 2014 21" iMac
Thanks so much vansmith! Very helpful and now makes sense! best, rick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.