New iMac core duo or Refurbished iMac G5?

G

garnoss

I am switching from my Dell which died to an Apple, but I don't know if I want the new Intel based iMac or a refurbished G5 iMac for a lot cheaper. I will only really use the computer for internet, music, movies, and microsoft office. I don't want to run into any slow downs because of Rosetta on the Intel. So should I go with the G5 iMac then? And if I do, what are the possibilities of new software being created for Intel Macs that doesn't run on the G5 or it does but just at extremely slow speeds?? Thanks for any help provided.

Reaction score
The chance of seeing anythign like a "Intel Only" piece of software within the next 5-7 years is very unlikely, nearly impossible.

So depending on how much you can save, take the G5, it's very fast, fit it ot with plenty RAM and it'll sing. If yo do a lot of encoding though, you'll need more juice. Then take the Intel, fi you really need it, and check the I/O, which seemed to have had some updates too. Those are really the only differences.

Any software will always run fine on a G5, these are quite powerful processors, and most mac tasks need more RAM than processor speed as such.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
Well, from your situation, I say get the G5. You won't see Intel Only software for quite a while, and for now you'd be safe. By the time the G5 chip is outdated, you'll be ready for another mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.