Old vs new Mac Pro and iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 MacBook Pro, 15", i9, 32GB RAM, Monterey
I have been thinking about upgrading my MacBook Pro to either an iMac or a Mac Pro. I had been thinking about a Mac Mini but some responses I got on some forums concerning the power in the Mini made me decide that it would not be a good fit for what I needed.

I configured both iMacs and Mac Pros on the Apple website and got prices but, out of curiosity, I decided to check the same configurations at some of the Mac vendors. I specifically looked at both B&HPhotoVideo and Adorama because that is where I buy some of my camera stuff and I have been satisfied with their responsiveness and customer service.

While the Mac Pros were considerably less expensive on the websites I noticed that they were listed as late 2013 models. The specs seems the same as now (3.7GHz i7 chip, 8-16GB RAM, etc) but they were running Mavericks. That made me wonder if there were any hardware changes between late 2013 and late 2015 in the Mac Pro. The same question would apply to the 27" iMac Retina although the vendor versions of those were not quite so old.

Can anyone tell me if I can assume that the hardware in a late 2013 Mac Pro is the same as in the current Mac Pros? And what about a 2014 iMac compared to the current version? I don't mind saving some money but I don't want to do so by buying outdated hardware.

Thank you for any help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Let me save you some looking and refer you to the Mac Buyer's Guide on the MacRumors Web site: LINK They're usually right on the mark.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 MacBook Pro, 15", i9, 32GB RAM, Monterey
Let me save you some looking and refer you to the Mac Buyer's Guide on the MacRumors Web site: LINK They're usually right on the mark.
Thank you. There was some very helpful information there, especially about coming updates for the Mac Pro. It answered most of my questions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.